[vb_main_1]

Crayola Washable Markers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crayola Washable Markers

Crayola Washable Markers have been a boon in marking quilt tops; however, I only use the blue, purple, green pens, throwing out the other colors, fearing that they just might leave an unwelcome stain. What has been the experience of others who use these markers? Do all colors wash out equally well? I'm curious as to what others think of this inexpensive tool.

Mary in Tennessee

I have been using the Crayola brand WASHABLE markers for years, and have never had a problem getting any of them washed out of my quilts.

With that said, I must add that I heavily starch my fabrics as I'm making my tops which provides an extra protective layer and even pencil marks easily wash out.
    (I once marked an entire baby quilt with a dense wholecloth design in pencil, and all the marks washed away in the first washing.)

After my quilt is finished I soak it in the washing machine with cool water for about 15 minutes, then drain all that water out of the machine.
    I then run the quilt through a regular cycle with a mild detergent and warm water.
    I usually use Orvus Paste http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...aste_soap.html
    then rinse the quilt twice, just to be sure all the chemicals are out of it.

You may find this article informative about washing quilts in general: http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian...ta/14/id29.htm

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Likewise, I've had no problems with the few colors that I use washing out of my quilts. I just wondered if there were problems with the other colors and, from your post, I gather there are none. I don't starch every quilt project, but perhaps for peace of mind where markers, all markers of all types, are concerned I should start doing so. I soak my quilts in the jacuzzi, turning on the bubblers for gentle agitation and then into the washer with Tide Free and Clear followed with a double rinse.

Thanks for link to quilt washing instructions with Orvus Paste - very informative, very scientific, a little intimidating regarding irritants in Orvus - not thrilled about gloving and masking for a laundry product. Still, I want the best for my quilts and if textile conservators (and other knowledgeable quilters) swear by the stuff, I may give it a try.

Thanks.

Mary in Tennessee

Comment

Margo, I know that you like to starch your fabric, but how do you avoid all the mess with starching (ironing board, iron). Do you have a separate work station for starching or do you have a method to avoid mess. Thanks!

Comment

I am fortunate to have a sewing room with some open floor space. My floor is covered with vinyl flooring, so I don't have to worry about moisture damaging it.

I spread old beach towels on the floor, and spread out my "chunky cut" fabric. I spray it with enough starch (Sta-Flo mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with water in a spray bottle) to saturate it. I usually do that in the evening and in the morning it's all dry and I can hit it with the steam iron to make it all flat and crisp.

The one disadvantage is that eventually the floor tends to need a damp mop! :roll:

One advantage is that I use the same space for blocking my finished quilts unless it's a utility quilt which gets dried in the clothes dryer. Because the flooring has a grid design on it, I can spread out a damp quilt and get it all lined up with the grid design on the floor and pat it all flat. The little bit of starch that is usually on the floor is enough to sort of cling to the back of the quilt and hold it in place as it dries! I can feel a little resistance when I take the quilt up, but the fabric doesn't feel really stiff.

I have used Sta-Flo starch for years, and have never had a problem with critters in the fabric. I don't know if that's because of the climate that we live in or the fact that I don't store much starched fabric. I try to just starch the amount I'm ready to use. It could also be that the preservatives in the starch make it unappetizing to the critters! And I ALWAYS wash my quilts as soon as I'm through making them.

Sometimes the Sta-Flo is hard find, but I can usually get it locally at Wal-Mart. It's always on the very bottom shelf, or up really high so that you sometimes need help to reach it! I've never seen it at eye level with the popular products!

Comment

I'm also a big fan of the Crayola Washable Markers. I do mostly scrap quilting, so I tend to use all the different colors -- whatever will show on any particular fabric. When I first started using the markers, I did a whole child's quilt using orange. I tell you, I did a lot of praying when I put it into the washing machine! No problem, however. All the markings washed out.

Comment

When my mother died, she left me a legacy in the form of a huge box of boiled starch. This powdery starch, boiled on the stove with water following a recipe on the side of the box, creates board-like fabrics with the nicest finish for tracing applique designs. Here's what I do: Dunk fabric into sink containing starch mixture until thoroughly saturated. When dry, water-spritz the material, roll into a plastic bag and pop into the refrigerator to redistribute dampness. When ready to press, set iron on medium-high heat as any higher than that and the starch will scorch both fabric and ironing board cover. I don't know if boiled starch is still available, but for now I'm reliving the olden days of childhood when Mom beautifully starched (using that very same product) and ironed my school dresses.

If I want to starch a small piece, I spray outside with commercial starch. Niagara recently released a linen-scented starch that I think smells heavenly.

I too have never had problems with starch-loving critters, though like Margo, I don't keep starch-filled fabrics in storage for long.

Thanks for weighing in on Crayola Washable Markers. Cheers to using ALL colors of washable markers from now on.

Comment

For what it's worth, Diane Gaudynski uses and recommends regular Argo cornstarch:

Try my recipe for spray starch for all your pressing/piecing needs. Remember, you can adjust any of these amounts to suit your own needs, and also don't keep this for more than two weeks max. I make up a batch when I need it, then dump it out when I'm finished. It produces a super flat stable quilt: Dissolve half a teaspoon (or one teaspoon for a stiffer starch) of regular Argo cornstarch (in your cupboard probably) in a few tablespoons of cold water in a heat proof 2-cup measuring pitcher like Pyrex. Add boiling water to make one cup, stirring constantly. Then add cold water to the 2 cup line. Let cool and use in a pump spray bottle. Shake it every time you spray. You may have to dilute it a little if it is too thick or builds up white flakes. Lasts a week or so as there are no preservatives, no chemicals, no nothing that harms us or the environment, and it’s practically free, except for the spray bottle! Don't starch fabrics for storage as it will attract critters such as centipedes, and mice.

http://www.dianegaudynski.net/index.html

Comment

I used both black and red Crayola Washable Markers on one of my first quilts. It took me at least a month before I finished it. I was pretty concerned about it washing out, but I just washed it in a regular cycle (cold water) using Orvus. It all came out fine. I have a real problem seeing what I've marked while I quilt. The Crayolas are great for that.

Comment

Hi all,
                    I just wanted to say that after reading the posts above, I decided to try the Washable Markers this past week, to see if I can learn how to free motion quilting designs. Wow! OMGosh! I can now free motion pretty cool feathers, by drawing the line for the spine, and also feather wreaths!! Never thought I would be able to do that. I used a small glass for the spine for the inner wreath and a bowl for the outer wreath spine, and had so much fun! I have a quilt ready to put onto my Grace GMQ (original) frame and see how it works on a real project. Now I need to experiment with making some really cool feathers with embellishments like we saw with Linda V Taylor, and the other artists ( because, they really are creating art) that we have seen on TQS. Thanks again!!
                    Kathy in CA

Comment

Kathy, I hope you'll post some photos of your quilting!

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

I've been using the Crayola washable markers and the sta-flo starch for years. Love 'em both!

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Margo, I have printed off your post with photos of your fabrics on a towel. Thank you. I can only get spray starch in an aerosol can or spray bottle. The first time I sprayed my fabrics full strength it didn't seem to stiffen them much at all. More recently I was more generous with the starch. i ironed the fabric wet and had alot of starch burnt onto my iron. :roll: :roll: I wondered if the fact that you just dry your fabric and steam it afterwards, prevented the starch sticking to the iron.I would welcome any suggestions you may have. Thank you

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Originally posted by pam7040
                            Margo, I have printed off your post with photos of your fabrics on a towel. Thank you. I can only get spray starch in an aerosol can or spray bottle. The first time I sprayed my fabrics full strength it didn't seem to stiffen them much at all. More recently I was more generous with the starch. i ironed the fabric wet and had alot of starch burnt onto my iron. :roll: :roll: I wondered if the fact that you just dry your fabric and steam it afterwards, prevented the starch sticking to the iron.I would welcome any suggestions you may have. Thank you
                            Yes, Pam, that nasty mess on the iron is avoided by waiting until the fabric is dry to iron it.

The reason I really like the Sta-Flo starch is so that I can control the ratio of water to starch depending on how stiff I want my fabrics. With your aerosol starch you can either spray and dry your fabrics a couple of times to get them stiffer. Or.... you can mix your own starch!!

Are you able to get regular cooking starch at your grocery store? It's probably in the baking section. Argo is a popular brand where I live.
                            If you will take 1- 2 Tablespoons of Corn Starch and thoroughly dissolve it in a pint of water, you can use it in a spray bottle. After you've tried that formula you can adjust the starch/water ratio to get a strength that you like! http://www.diylife.com/2007/08/16/di...aundry-starch/

There are no preservatives in this formula, so only mix up about as much as you will use at one time. That's the other advantage of the Sta-Flo. It does have a longer shelf life after it's mixed.

And here's a link to a youtube video: http://www.ehow.com/video_4409888_how-starch.html

Comment

Watched those videos by Sharon Schamber on how to shrink a block and you have me convinced to use my starch more often.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 46 users online. 0 members and 46 guests.

Most users ever online was 331 at 09:57 AM on 08-28-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X