[vb_main_1]

Quilting from the soul?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting from the soul?

This has really been bothering me for a few weeks. I went to the Hudson Valley Fiber Art Workshops in Greenville last month and took what I thought would be a class that would be my heart's desire. I've been telling myself, and everybody who would listen, that I wasn't going to work in such a traditional way anymore. I wanted to be an "art quilter". I'm even one of the co-reps for SAQA NY. I held a meeting with other SAQA members and we were talking about what is "art" when it comes to quilting. One of the members said that, in her opinion, all quilts are art. That's what's been bugging me. I have to say I agree with what she said. I'm not into the "artsy-fartsy" stuff. I heard, don't remember where, that if you quilt from your soul, it's the kind of quilting you're meant to do. If it makes your heart sing, then you're quilting from your soul.
    I realize I'm rambling but this has literally been keeping me up at night. Does anyone have thoughts on this or am I just going crazy? :shock: :|

PS-Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the USA!!

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Eileen, for year's I've had a sign in my sewing room that simply says "Do what makes your heart sing."
    That is what quilting does for me. It's where I find peace and solace. Where my soul is soothed.
    I don't think it matters what style your work is, it should make you happy to do it.
    If other people enjoy it, that's icing on the cake.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Amen, Margo! Nancy

Comment

Quilting makes my heart sing, too, like nothing else I've ever done. That's a great sign, Margo!
        Eileen, as far as I'm concerned, all quilters are artists. Some may work in more traditional styles than others do, but that happens in painting and other forms of art, too. There are realist painters, impressionistic painters, abstract painters, and so on, but they are all considered artists. I think it's high time all quilters recognize themselves as artists and feel free to explore those aspects of quilting that make their hearts sing. Just my two cents ...

Comment

Did you know that some art quilters don't want the word quilt attached to their work anymore. They're fiber artists or some other name. What I think I'm trying to say is that immersing myself in the art quilt world does NOT make my heart sing. All I can think about is my hand applique, Dear Jane, Shakespeare in the Park and various other projects. <sigh> Oh and let's not forget Ruffled Roses :!: :!: My fingers are itching to get at that :!: :!: :lol:

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
          Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

It sounds to me like you need to re-direct your your efforts back to what makes your heart sing, and just don't worry about what it's called!

BTW....I have seen some "fiber art" that I wouldn't want to call a quilt, and I think there is room in the world for all kinds of artists.

Comment

I agree with Margo and Robin.I think "art quilts" are really meant to hang on the wall and not be placed on a bed or snuggled up with on the couch. But that doesn't mean you are not making "art" when you make a bed quilt.If you make something with your heart and your hands and its beautiful and makes you happy you can safely consider yourself an artist.There are many different kinds of artists in this world.Happy Thanksgiving to you all as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Books53
                I agree with Margo and Robin.I think "art quilts" are really meant to hang on the wall and not be placed on a bed or snuggled up with on the couch. But that doesn't mean you are not making "art" when you make a bed quilt.If you make something with your heart and your hands and its beautiful and makes you happy you can safely consider yourself an artist.There are many different kinds of artists in this world.Happy Thanksgiving to you all as well.

Well said, Julie!

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                  Originally posted by Books53

Well said, Julie!
                  I whole-heartedly agree. Art quilts are for hanging but I think all quilts are works of art--just serving a different purpose!

Comment

I have struggled with the "definition" of art and who decides what is "good" art However that internal debate took place in 1979. I decided not to pursue my fine art degree and to earn a living instead! I allow my creative endevours to be for my satisfaction and my personal journey.

Ellen, enjoy yourself and don't worry about the label. I find that the description "art quilt" helps to explain to another person that my efforts are probably not going to be used for bedding.

Comment

I like this conversation. In my case, art quilting, by which I mean making wall art made using quilts as the medium, is a passion, but I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the gorgeous artistic wonderful quilts made in a traditional way, whether they are for hanging on the wall or snuggling up with. I think I am not very GOOD at making traditional quilts, though I have made a few, so I think doing what makes your heart sing is the very best way to approach it. I think it's so wonderful that there is room in this quilting world for all kinds of quilts. We complement each other that way.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Originally posted by Sewdreamy
                        I like this conversation. In my case, art quilting, by which I mean making wall art made using quilts as the medium, is a passion, but I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the gorgeous artistic wonderful quilts made in a traditional way, whether they are for hanging on the wall or snuggling up with. I think I am not very GOOD at making traditional quilts, though I have made a few, so I think doing what makes your heart sing is the very best way to approach it. I think it's so wonderful that there is room in this quilting world for all kinds of quilts. We complement each other that way.
                        Well said Sewdreamy. I have never considered myself to be artistic. I took a painting class from the art teacher at our school and it turned out okay but I was definitely the needy student in the class. I also never thought of my traditionally made quilts as being artistic but I think that they really are as we use fabric for our pallette and it is made from a vision we want to show to others.

Comment

I have always wanted to be an artist and in the past felt that it was beyond me to be one. But, as I experiment with different techniqes and styles I am thinking less about 'labels' and what I'm doing or not doing is called, by me, or anyone, and more about the process and what I'm trying to achieve or express. I just finished a wall quilt for xmas that features a feathered star. I call that a work of art because I got all the little pieces to fit together properly! More than that, though, it stimulated my creativity because I started with the feathered star and just started working outwards on boarders with no idea where I was going next. I have discovered with the last few projects I've done that I love working that way and find it exciting. Now I think less about wanting to be an artist and more about what my creative spirit wants. That is what is making me happy when I quilt.

On the subject of 'quilt': I have always understood that a quilt was defined as such by being three layers tied or stitched together. After that I suppose they can be anything from fiber art to wall quilt to bed quilt. I've even heard quilts referred to as blankets! :? Just labels.

Eileen, did you like Hudson Valley? I've seen their website and brochures and it always looks so inviting!

Cindy

Comment

Quilting is a pleasure for me and I keep multiple projects running so I can work on the things I want that day. Sometimes I do totally original art quilts that do hang though some of them are large enough that they are used as bed quilts as well. I tend to think of that work as more "artistic" than other times when I just want to follow a pattern.
                            There are times when I just want to run long seam lines through my machine and even then, I chuckle and have fun.

I think the point is that unless you are selling your work, "artistic" is defined only by you.

Comment

I know she wont mind me copying it here, but in a past discussion on this kind of subject Mary Kay Runyan (MKNavy90) has made the following comment. In fact she has it set up on her email under her signature.

"She who works with her hands is a laborer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsman. She who works with her hands, her head and her heart is an artist."

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 61 users online. 0 members and 61 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X