[vb_main_1]

Koala sewing cabinet

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koala sewing cabinet

Does anyone have any advice about the Koala sewing cabinet? I'm thinking of investing in one, but wanted to get some feedback from those who might have one, or who have found something that works just as well in their sewing room. For instance, there are two models with Koala, in one, the sewing machine is all the way to the right with plenty of table space on the left of the machine. In their second model, the sewing machine is set in the center of the table. I understand that if the machine is all the way to the right you'd have more room for your quilt on the left....so why would anyone want the sewing machine in the center? There must be something I'm missing! Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Steven

I have a Koala sewing cabinet and I have been very pleased with it's performance. It has held up well to much use. My cabinet has a large area that opens up behind and a smaller area on the right that rolls out. I place a four foot table next to the back opening and another four foot table at a 90 degree angle to the front left edge of the cabinet. This gives my quilt lots of support as I work. I feel you will be pleased with a purchace of a Koala cabinet. Betty Ann

Comment

Thanks Betty Ann for the speedy response!

Comment

I have found the Australian Horn sewing cabinets great and I have been told you can buy them in USA, you may like to check them out also, you may have already. The desk top is 55" x 45".

Taree NSW - Australia
        My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Mine looks similar to Patchworkjill's photo, only mine doesn't have the shelf under the drawer. instead it came with a roll out that has three drawers. Very convenient to move around. Definitely love the extra space to the left and back and its nice to be able to fold down the back when not quilting. It gives me extra floor space when piecing tops. As for why a table would have a center space for a machine, probably for people who mostly sew garments or crafts. It's more room for stuff within reach on the right. But that is what I use my roll out for or my ironing board.

Taree NSW - Australia
          My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Actually, I like a little bit more room to the right than Koala and many of the other table manufacturers allow. I want room to put my scissors, pins, tea, etc., and that 4 - 6 inches is just not enough.

That being said, putting the machine in the middle is just plain dumb -- at least for quilters.

BethMI

Comment

I have 5 Koala pieces and have been impressed with the quality and workmanship! We had a winter home and summer home, and downsized into a small condo, so all of my Koala is in one room, with room for a 8' x 8' design wall. My smaller Koala sewing cabinet has become my computer desk. My larger one has the sewing machine sitting just off center, on the right. There is 18" of table top space to the right, AND an 18" extension. I have to say, the first 18" is always useful and has "stuff" sitting on it. I recently finished a quilt where I was continually changing threads, and there were 40 different ones sitting there, along with my scissors, thread stand, pins, pin cushion, a variety of sewing machine needles (changing for metallic threads, etc.) machine's screw driver, and different feet that I needed to change frequently. Everything was in close proximity, and I was able to buzz right along. I enjoy that space. The extra 18" extension is not really used for anything. When buying your new unit, just remember at some point you will probably enjoy a little extra space to the right of your machine. If the piece you buy has the sewing machine all the way to the right, be sure you can fit another unit of some sort next to it for "stuff." (When paperpiecing, I have a small cutting mat and a small iron in that area. And, my knees slide under, because it is the old "OutBack Plus.") Good luck in finding the perfect fit for your needs!

Dawn
              In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Thanks so much for all the input ladies!!!!

Comment

So glad to see this discussion, as I'm thinking of making a purchase of Koala or something similar in the near future. Thanks for all the insight! Nancy

Comment

I have a really nice Horn of America cabinet,beautiful quality and less pricey than the Horn of Australia.My husband bought it on ebay for me several years ago,not in any kind of bidding war,some businesses have ebay stores.If you'd like I can clean the crap off of it and take a nice picture?Or you can google Horn of America to see what your options are.Let me know. Julie

Comment

My Koala cabinet with my sewing machine on the right has served me very well. I wish I had more space in the back, but I believe they have such a model. I have had mine now for about 7 years, and it still looks like new.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

I don't have a Koala table but I LOVELOVELOVE my new Koala chair.
                        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                        working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                        Tired. 
                        Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                        Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

Thanks all. Julie I'll check the website thanks!!!

Comment

I DO NOT HAVE ROOM for any of the cabinets but am planning to buy the portable sewing table. Upir north in the cabin I use the set up on the link it is cheap and temporary....every thing stores in the back storage room before we go back home... works great. I really like using the vynal and can see how it would be helpful in other set up if you have to gerry rig multiple tables to support your quilt.

Cheap sewing set up
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0

http://www.seweziusa.com/

Comment

I have a horn table which I love. I do have a recommendation - for about $10 you can have a piece of 1/4" plate glass cut to fit the opening where the sewing machine goes. That gives you an excellent light box!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 70 users online. 0 members and 70 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X