[vb_main_1]

stencil cutting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

stencil cutting

I am looking for the best stencil plastic for use with a heat/electric based cutter. The type I've been trying (Dritz) is nice with sissors, but melts/cuts unevenly for more intricate quilting designs. Your opinions are appreciated.

O.K. - check this out - http://www.quiltersreview.com/articl...t/030120_b.asp

Comment

Harriet Hargrave has the difinitive instruction on this in her book - http://books.google.com/books id=48gEYdmICfgC&pg=PA67&lpg=PA67&dq=db k+stencil+plastic&source=bl&ots=5HTVYcNFLS &sig=ad_b65GNBeUpKUsCoYsqotZamP4&hl=en&amp ;ei=bYvZTJKYDODtnQe6wNjpCQ&sa=X&oi=book_re sult&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CF8Q6AEw CQ#v=onepage&q=dbk_stencil_plastic&f=false Don't know why this didn't print out as highlighted, but if you cut & paste, it'll take you right there. (I just tried it, and it did. Start at the http and continue to hightlight the entire thing.)

-OR- if you have it, and you should, Heirloom Machine Quilting by Hargrave

Comment

Well, I guess you didn't find my suggestions helpful. Nevertheless, I'm disappointed you didn't see fit to acknowledge my response to your question. I've encountered this before, and frankly, it makes me less willing to participate.

Comment

Originally posted by PDQuilt
          Well, I guess you didn't find my suggestions helpful. Nevertheless, I'm disappointed you didn't see fit to acknowledge my response to your question. I've encountered this before, and frankly, it makes me less willing to participate.
          Paula, I'm sorry you are disappointed, but because Melissat has only posted one time, she is obviously new, and maybe she just couldn't find her way back to her post???

(I tried your link, and it didn't work for me.)

I have Harriet's book (first, second and third editions) and have tried making stencils with her hot pen. It didn't work for me. Big goobers of mylar on the back of the stencil, and I just couldn't control it well enough to make a good stencil. Harriet does recommend using DuPont Mylar, not plastic for this technique. It has a very hard finish and is not as easy to cut with scissors as the template plastic.

I was hoping that there would be some more suggestions here because custom made stencils can be a big help!

Melissat, if you happen to see this, try using your Dritz template plastic and just perforate holes along your marked lines by stitching with your sewing machine. Use the largest needle you have (size 100/16?) with no thread. You can then use pounce powder to transfer your design. Hope that helps.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo, you're right about "first time posters". It's just that many of us offer comments and suggestions which are simply never acknowledged. This also goes for sending nice comments about quilts that are posted. Nothing. Nada. It's frustrating, as the intention is always congratulatory or supportive. Re: my link - something didn't translate, but if you just go to http://books.google.com/books you can preview books for free, and Harriet Hargrave's was listed (as many other quilt books). She goes into detail about stencil cutting. Check it out. And the recommended material for cutting your own stencils is the DBK Stencil Plastic. It comes on a roll, available in many places. Thanks for your input, and I'm looking forward to the BOM for this year. Regards.

Comment

I know what you mean about no response! Did you see the chocolate and pink 2010 Hugs and Kisses quilt that I made to test this year's pattern?
              I gifted it to my nephew's fiancée who practically drooled on it when she saw it in my sewing room when they visited a couple of months ago.

That was all the thanks I got!! :shock:

Manners seem to be a thing of the past! :roll:

Comment

Maybe like myslef it can be days before I get back to this web site after posting a question or comment or compliment, while other times I can go on daily, other times I dont have a lot of time so I will just very quickly read but am in a rush and when the coffee cup is empty it's out the door I go and dont reply to any post, other times I can spend ages reply to just about all the post.

Also you can have so many replies that one does not really have the time to spend ages replying to every single reply, but I always know that the people on this site are ever so helpful with advice and thoughts and with such kindness, and also very generous with the little bit of time they have as like me maybe have busy lives but still find a little bit of time to help when they can or just a funny comment to give us a laugh.

Me.......well as a lovely person in general.......I just appreciate everyone as it's part of my motto in life to try and follow the three G's and as a TQS subscriber would rather not be infer/called anything else thank you.

Margo........ditto.....but have you had the daughter who sends out the little six year old with the sad eyes saying "nanny my mummy would just love that quilt and she does not have a blanket to keep her warm at night"

Taree NSW - Australia
                My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

I am blessed with two sons who appreciate the quilts I've made for them!!

A grandchild who would be a go-between could be fun! What message did you send back with the six-year-old??? Offer a sewing lesson??? LOL!!

Comment

I would really like to see a good answer or two for this. Stencils are not something I use often, but I might use them more if I could develop them myself for custom use. Cheers, BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                      I am blessed with two sons who appreciate the quilts I've made for them!!

A grandchild who would be a go-between could be fun! What message did you send back with the six-year-old??? Offer a sewing lesson??? LOL!!

The message was "perhaps she could take the birthday sewing machine out of the box and USE IT" .....lol lol lol

Taree NSW - Australia
                      My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

Wow. I am very gratified to see so many responses. I can't wait to research each one fully - but the work week intervenes - DRATS!
                        Thank you all so very much. Melissa

Comment

I don't know much about stencil cutting but I have found that I can't use stencils anyhow. I bought a ton of them some years back and they just hang on the wall in my stitchin' room. I can't follow a design to save my life! Otherwise, welcome to the board Melissa!

Comment

I don't follow the lines precisely but I still use them. Do you want to sell your "ton" of stencils at a bargain rate?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 64 users online. 0 members and 64 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X