Quilt design software?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt design software?

Hi gang -
    I'm ready to buy a quilt design software package - what do you use that you love?
    What would you avoid?
    Is equilter7 worth the almost $200 price tag?
    I'd love to hear your advice!
    Best wishes,
    Mike

I love Electric Quilt.

I just bought vers 6 last fall and upgraded to version 7 as soon as it was out. I love it!! I don't even use it "all the time" but when I do --- I'm so happy I have it!

I'm a big paper piecing fan so I like the ease of printing patterns for pp and also how I can make them print the way I want.

Any pattern... any size!! Love that!! I have the CDs for lots of PP patterns and can make them 6" or 18" by the click of the mouse.

My friend saw a pattern she liked in a magazine but wanted it bigger. So I drew up the block, changed the sizes where needed, and made the pattern her size. I printed out the quilt design, the fabric needed, the rotary cutting instructions right there. It is so slick.

In the past, I had Quilt Pro. It was a very old version and I couldn't even upgrade it anymore. But EQ is so much more than QP ever was for me.

I have not even touched the whole realm of what EQ can do. Last week I put a skewed block into a border. So easy!
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

I wouldn''t want to do without Electric Quilt. I have version 7. I'm not even a traditional quilter and I use it a lot. I don't like math...it helps me avoid it. Also, it helps me "see" the quilts before I make them.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

I echo Joyce and Betty! I love EQ7 and it definitely worth the money!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

Mike, I started with EQ5. The very first thing I did with mine was to design a layout for tiles we were installing at the time in a new shower! Not only did I have a lay-out showing the exact size and shape to cut each piece of tile, but also knew what size tile spacers to use!!! SLICK!!! My DH was impressed!
          I now have EQ6, but have not upgraded to 7 yet. Absolutely worth the $$$, IMHO. (Lots cheaper than a tile installer!)

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
            Absolutely worth the $$$, IMHO. (Lots cheaper than a tile installer!)

What a riot, Margo!! Beautiful tile work!
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            Tired. 
            Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
            Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

I definitely echo the purchase of EQ7 as the design software to purchase. Its flexibility is awesome. And if you run into problems, EQ has an excellent support team that will work with you (even if they are only referring you to what page in the manual you need to read ops: ).
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              Tired. 

Comment

Definitely a good value. I have had it since Version 5. As new versions came out, I was able to upgrade at a discounted price. Just check their website for all the features and support for this software.

A-1 in my book.

Comment

Hi Gang -

OK - I ordered EQ7 - but are any of you EQ folks Mac users? What is the best virtual PC program to use - or to avoid?

Best wishes,
                  Mike

Comment

There is an active info eq forum and also an EQ blog. Check out the blog below:

http://www.doyoueq.com/blog/?p=150 and also the EQ site for FAQs:

http://www.electricquilt.com/Shop/EQ7/EQ7FAQ.asp

Kim

Comment

EQ rocks, I use V7 and have been using the program since V4.

While I do have a Mac and do run EQ on it occasionally, I much prefer to run it directly on my Windows laptop. Parallels works great, I use the current version and run the 64bit version of Windows 7 in it.

Of course if you don't mind rebooting back and forth between BootCamp and your Mac desktop, any of your windows software will run as fast via Bootcamp as it does on any Windows machine.

Parallels is pretty good, and probably wouldn't bother most people. I'm a bit of a speed lover when it comes to computers, and eventually it drove me back to a Windows laptop for all my sewing software.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeBlueEarth
                        Hi Gang -

OK - I ordered EQ7 - but are any of you EQ folks Mac users? What is the best virtual PC program to use - or to avoid?

Best wishes,
                        Mike
                        Mike, Super! I will be interested in seeing your resulting quilts or even just some of the designs you come up with. Cheers, BJ

Comment

Hi Mike,

Ditto everyone comments

Looking forward to seeing your quilts....

Margo as already stated you are an absolute riot..... 8) 8)

Taree NSW - Australia
                          My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

EQ7 is incredible! I wouldn't trade it for anything.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 49 users online. 0 members and 49 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X