No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Is there a better/easier way to do this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a better/easier way to do this?

I am stuck!.I don't have a pattern for this quilt - making it up as I go along (from various sources) but I have now decided I want to put a narrow blue strip around the centre square. My thinking is that if I try to unsew and piece in a border I will never get it to go back correctly. So I thought I could applique the blue strip and somehow bury the ends in the corners (which I would have to unpick and sew back). Is there another way to do this? I think it looks better with the blue strip.
    Any advice much appreciated.

Nan

What about making a bias strip, adding fusible tape, fusing around the square and top stitching with a double needle? I agree. It looks great with the blue strip added -makes the center square pop.

Comment

Nan, I love your quilt top! I think the fusible application would work well, and I don't think it would even need to be bias strips.

If you are concerned about the corners maybe you could cut the entire blue border from a large single piece of fabric and either fuse or appliqué it in place.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
        Nan, I love your quilt top! I think the fusible application would work well, and I don't think it would even need to be bias strips.

If you are concerned about the corners maybe you could cut the entire blue border from a large single piece of fabric and either fuse or appliqué it in place.
        I like Margo's idea. I think you are on the right track. The blue will definitely enhance the center.

Coast of South Carolina USA
        Sewing/Quilting on my Viking Sapphire 870

Comment

Thank you Stmpr2, Margo and Pam,

I hadn't thought of these possibilities. Yeah TQS Members!

I hand appliqued this top so am not sure about machining down the blue. I have some Superior invisible thread which I have been meaning to try-maybe with a narrow zigzag on the fusible idea.

I have now remembered about the Pat Holly show where she demonstrates framing. I am wondering if it would be feasible to try the framing but turning under a edge and snipping into the frame corners.

I think I just need to make some samples to try these ideas.
          I will experiment and see how I get on.

Thanks again,
          Nan

Comment

I say this without ever having tried it but here goes. What if you prepared a binding-like strip (you know 2 1/4" ironed in half). Then place that binding down on your block with the cut edges just almost touching the existing seam of the block -- leave a sliver of your background block showing. Leave a tail to start (like when binding) stich down the scant center of the binding (a bit less to the right of the needle than to the left). When you get to the corner stop short the amount equal to your seam allowance and backstich...flip/go around the corner as you would a binding. Get back to you where you started and join the two ends (yes, you got it - as you would a binding) Flip/iron the finished edge of the "binding" over the raw edges to the seam line and whip stitch it down, mitering the corners as you go. Good luck and have fun finishing your lovely quilt.

Comment

Thanks Melissa,

That's another way I hadn't thought of. I am so glad I posted the question.

I have just finished 'inserting' the blue trim. I cut out a blue frame 1 inch wide then folded in the edges (1/4"), cutting into the internal corners, pressed, basted, Roxanne glued it, then hand appliqued it down. I think it has worked well - it has the same bulk as if I had inserted the seam as a border -but the corners are smooth without the extra bulk of overlapping seams.
              I haven't taken a photo yet - my house is full of workmen---I would like to have put a scalloped edge border treatment on this one but I don't think there is enough room - I have placed the petals too close to the edge, and I don't have enough background fabric left to add on a little and I think it might be too much blue if I used that to fit in a scalloped edge.

Anyway that is for the future. It might have been better to plan a bit more but I don't mind because it has been a real learning experience for me.

Once again thank you all for your suggestions.

Nan

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 106 users online. 0 members and 106 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X