[vb_main_1]

t-shirt quilts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

t-shirt quilts

Why couldn't I just cut t-shirt blocks, layer them with t-shirt blocks cut from the back of the tee, and sew the blocks together like a rag quilt? The tees would not fray, but I could still clip them and the look would be the same. I'm thinking interfacing would make them too stiff, and I don't want that formal a quilt. Anyone tried this?

Give it a try and let us know if you like it. Maybe it will make my next one easier.

Comment

I make t-shirt quilts for customers and I use a fusible tricot that I get in JoAnn's. It's not heavy or stiff in the shirts. If you use the back of the shirt, use it crosswise so the stretch is in the opposite direction from the front. That's the reason for the stabilizer-you're trying to avoid too much stretch.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

That actually sounds like a great idea. I have usually used the tricot interfacing but your idea sounds really neat and less trouble. Any quilting could be done a block at a time and you could combine some smaller logos to make large blocks that would be the size of your larger tshirt motifs. Even plain shirts would be good because you could add an embroidery/applique or quilt design if you wish.

Some knits might be more difficult but maybe not. Since it is a block at a time, you could always set aside a block that might not work.

Have fun and keep us posted.

Kim

Comment

I use the plain t-shirt backs to print photographs to be added to the quilt--that way, all the backgrounds are from the same material. I have also used lightweight stabilizer on the back sides to minimize stretching.

Renee

Comment

Please explain. Photo printing on plain t-shirts sounds like a great idea. Do you treat the fabric with Bubble Pro stuff, press onto freezer paper for stabilizer prior to printing?

More info please!

Comment

I used an iron-on photo paper product from Hewlett Packard/HP's website (HP Iron-on Transfers (12 transfer sheets, 8.5 x 11-inch) HP part: C6049A). The part number is the same as the product I used more than five years ago, and the photos have held up beautifully.

The process is old-school, in the sense that you print your photo onto their paper and then iron it on to the t-shirt material. When I make another t-shirt quilt (for son #3), I will again use this process, since t-shirt fabric won't fit in the printer :>

Renee

Comment

I was thinking of using basting spray (505) to help stabilize quilt as you go t-shirt blocks. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. A good small project would be pillow covers to try it out on.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 119 users online. 0 members and 119 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X