[vb_main_1]

Cathedral Windows?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cathedral Windows?

Have any of you tried this design? Is there any tricks, other than just practice, to getting those corner points nice & smooth? Did a little wall hanging yesterday, love this technique, but want to improve on it!

Thanks!
    Nancy/NC....

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

I LOVE cathedral windows! There are an amazing array of design possibilities available with this technique, not just all one background and one-color or color-coordinated inserts. I originally did it all by hand (which helps w/ those corner points, IMHO) but don't have the time for that, what with everything else there is to do. Took a class and learned how to do all of it by machine except the last turning back of the bias fold. Then I found a book which really was inspiring and very helpful .... "Cathedral Window Quilts, The Classic Folded Technique and a Wealth of Variations" by Lynne Edwards, published by David and Charles, http://www.mycraftivity.com. Even the cover picture will blow you away, and the inside ones will get your creativity bubbling. See if your library has it, or your LQS.

Comment

I happen to have that book too, & love it! Lots of neat ideas & info in there! The project I tried was a project posted on the CT forum. My first time try CWs. So it was interesting, just want to improve on it a bit... I'm thinking I will like better, doing the quilt top, stitching down bias too, then do the sandwiching. Won't be quite the original idea, but should look just as nice. I already played with a block & made a pincushion. That was fun too! Thanks for your input!

Comment

A few years ago, I purchased a book by Shelley Swanland, "Machine Stitched Cathedral Stars." It provides cutting and sewing techniques that use no hand sewing at all. It took me a while to figure out how everything went together, but since I had never made one by hand, I was starting from scratch. Her website is http://shelleyswanland.com, and my quilt is #1017325 and on my profile.

Comment

Mary, nice to hear about more CW books & quilting ideas! I will have to check these out as I can find them. I wish more of these sites let you check the books out inside, so you could get a better idea of what you would be purchasing. With DH retired now, I am trying to watch my spending a bit closer & use more of what I already have, which is alot, lol....

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 277 users online. 0 members and 277 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X