[vb_main_1]

Ricky's Stable Stuff

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ricky's Stable Stuff

Hi Ricky, I have two pkgs of your stable stuff. How about giving us TQS' ers a short video on how to use it. Thanks, DixieH

I have used Ricky's Stable Stuff. Just put a sheet on the backside of the fabric you are going to applique and sew. Make a slit in the stable stuff with a scissor and tear away gently from the stitching. No need to get every little bit. When washed it goes soft and you won't know it's there. I even think you can leave it all in and when washed it goes soft like the fabric. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

Barbara

Comment

I love the Stable Stuff! It's great for foundation piecing. You can run the pre-cut 8-1/2" x 11" through your printer and leave it on the back of your fabrics.

But my favorite use is for appliqué. I glue cut out Stable Stuff shapes to the back of my fabric, trim the seam allowances to 1/8 to 3/16 and glue those edges to the back of the Stable Stuff. Then the shapes are completely ready to appliqué, whether by hand or machine, and all the edges are already turned under. I always leave the Stable Stuff behind my appliqué shapes. I like the extra dimension it gives.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I use Stable Stuff for bobbin work. I run the SS thru my printer to get my design. Baste the SS to the back of the fabric. Put Ricky Tims Razzle Dazzle in the bobbin, Bottom Line on top, Lay the fabric pretty side to the bobbin and just sew on the lines. I leave the SS in the quilt. By the time I have man handled it, or is that woman handled it, it is soft and not at all stiff. I will put a photo of a piece I did this way on my profile in just a while. I think this is a product every quilter should keep on hand at all times. Lots of uses. Betty Ann in Beautifull Florida

Comment

Thanks everyone ,you have answered my questions on how to use Stable Stuff. Dixie

Comment

I make a lot of placemats and napkins to sell. I have always had trouble with satin stitching the napkin edge and was wondering if this stuff would work. Last night I used Avalon Wash Away and although I trimmed of the excess film (what a pain!), the napkins were sticky after washing. I have used Sulky wash a way and it left hairy edges. Advice?

kwiltnutt

Comment

Kwiltnutt, if you tear away the Stable Stuff, you will still be left with some fibers. Have you ever considered heavily starching your fabric before you do your zig-zag edges? It would probably make them finish nicer than removing a stabilizer.

When I do napkins, I prefer to do a narrow rolled edge on my serger, but I still like to work with stiffer fabrics, and the starch easily washes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                I love the Stable Stuff! It's great for foundation piecing. You can run the pre-cut 8-1/2" x 11" through your printer and leave it on the back of your fabrics.

But my favorite use is for appliqué. I glue cut out Stable Stuff shapes to the back of my fabric, trim the seam allowances to 1/8 to 3/16 and glue those edges to the back of the Stable Stuff. Then the shapes are completely ready to appliqué, whether by hand or machine, and all the edges are already turned under. I always leave the Stable Stuff behind my appliqué shapes. I like the extra dimension it gives.
                Margo,
                I'm confused. ops: ops:

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Originally posted by eileenkny
                  Originally posted by Margo

Margo,
                  I'm confused. ops: ops:
                  What has confused you, Eileen? Check out my 2010 Hugs and Kisses tutorial where I use Stable Stuff like described above. I am working on a new tutorial for the Ruffled Roses BOM. Hope this helps you: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...76127612MrslzR

Comment

Margo,I think you are gluing your fabric to the stable stuff like you would glue it to freezer paper but the stable stuff can be left in? Would this be good for making placemats,to just give them a little body or wouldn't it be enough?And if it was enough,could it be washed frequently(as placemats would be),or would it eventually disappear? I'm asking because I bought a package and I'm not exactly sure what to do with it now that I've got it! Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Books53
                      Margo,I think you are gluing your fabric to the stable stuff like you would glue it to freezer paper but the stable stuff can be left in? Would this be good for making placemats,to just give them a little body or wouldn't it be enough?And if it was enough,could it be washed frequently(as placemats would be),or would it eventually disappear? I'm asking because I bought a package and I'm not exactly sure what to do with it now that I've got it! Julie
                      YES! I use Elmer's Washable School Glue sticks to glue the stable stuff like freezer paper to the back of the appliqué shapes, but it can be left in. When it's washed it immediately just sort of melts into soft polyester fibers to give a little dimension to the shape. Frequent washing is not a problem, but since I've never washed quilts as often as placemats, you may want to try it on your own before gifting it to someone.

Comment

Margo, have you ever tried painting the starch on the stable stuff? Obviously the glue works for you. I might just try it too.

BTW, how many quilts will we all owe you in the future for all the help/encouragement you give. LOL

Sharon in "Baby it's cold outside" Colorado

Comment

I leave my Stable stuff in ... once the quilt is washed it is as if you left light weight pellon in your quilt. It is light and airy and I can not tell it is there.

Comment

Margo,I just watched youtr tutorial and was wondering what is on the end of your glue bottle tip? Thanks, Dixie

Comment

Originally posted by DixieH
                              Margo,I just watched youtr tutorial and was wondering what is on the end of your glue bottle tip? Thanks, Dixie
                              Thanks for watching, Dixie! That is a retro-fited tip so that I can better control the amount of glue coming from the bottle. I made mine several years ago after watching a Sharon Schamber video showing how she did hers, but her video is no longer available. Sharon now suggests that you purchase a smaller tip from her daughter's web site. http://www.purpledaisiesllc.com/Folk..._Glue_p/69.htm

The tips are also available at craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's in the paint department.

OR....you can use Roxanne's Glue-Baste It with the special tip. Just be aware that this tip really needs to be cleaned out and dried thoroughly after each use.

However, if you are game to build your own, I've written a tutorial showing how I did mine. If you will send me a private message, I'll e-mail you the PDF.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 234 users online. 0 members and 234 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X