No announcement yet.
[vb_side_1]

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Do you cut the fabric away behind the applique?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't some have told me to but I will not I am happy with it the way it is

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Hi all. It's very interesting to see, how you all solve problems. I don't cut away fabric, but if I was to hand applique I might consider it. According to the color changing you call nap, I do it on purpose to make my colors more vibrant. And of course silks and velvets are really showing this.

living in Central Denmark
      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

After saying that I normally don't cut away the fabric behind appliqué pieces, I have to admit that I have just cut away all fabric on a new piece I'm working on. The reason: The background fabric is actually pieced and consists entirely of 2 inch squares. Where the appliqué pieces are, there would have been little ridges and bumps showing through from the seems in the background, so it simply had to go. It shows again that there is no simple right answer. All depends on your individual quilt.
        From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

You know, Lorchen, I was once considering writing a book on quilting called "Rules? What Rules?" Because, when you buy a quilt book, there it is, in black and white, "DO THIS........" and then you buy another book, and you are told something different. Case in point: I took three classes one year, at Houston, from 3 different award winning teachers, on free- motion quilting. One put the pedal to the metal, and off she went! Another went very slowly, and had very small work. One tied off all of her knots on the backside of the quilt ("Why would I want them any where else?") and another made sure she had both bobbin and top thread on the top, to be sure she knew exactly where they were. So, how does that saying go, "If it feels right, just do it!" (And, ignore the quilt police!)

Dawn
          In (RAINING STILL!) Northwest Montana

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 271 users online. 0 members and 271 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X