[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Strippy border

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This for Makesgeese - at first I thought of doing flying geese all around the border and although I have the TQS method all written down, I found the maths awful. I was thrown out of maths class age 14 but I think I had to do about 160 geese to get around my quilt and my heart just failed at the idea of trying to sort out the right proportion of goose to block. Maybe I should wait until I go to the Houston Quilt Show and see if someone has invented a faster goose! :?

Comment

Or you can make your flying geese borders large enough that you KNOW they will be plenty big enough to fit the sides of the quilt, then add a "floater strip" to fill in the gap from the center of the quilt! This is a trick that Sue Garman has taught us with the TQS Block of the Month patterns! Slick trick!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

That would be really interesting if I understood it! How embarasssing, would you mind terribly looking up the Pattern and Month for me, please? I have downloaded all the blocks of the month from last year and this (to make in my next life) and would be very interested to see what you mean, perhaps I should set out to conquer flying geese in my next project! My quilting buddies today decided for me, and I am with them, that I should put a plain border on about two thirds of a block deep, 6", and I can use my strippy border idea for the binding which I think may be very effective although a bit fiddly to do. The border will be navy blue and I'm going to quilt a cable in it with cream coloured cotton, my friend has done a quilt with this and it looks pretty good, I'll be quilting the whole thing with cream colour so it will be a natural carry over.

Comment

Margarita...I know...making 160 flying geese seems like alot of geese. No... that is alot of geese!
          Like Margo I've sized my inside border to fit my pieced border. That's easier then making your pieced border fit your quilt top.
          You might want to check out Deb Tucker's booth at the Houston Show. She is Studio 180 Designs. Deb has a "wing clipper" tool for making flying geese. Try it...I like it...
          Good luck on your quilt and have fun at the show...

Comment

Originally posted by makesgeese
            Margarita...I know...making 160 flying geese seems like alot of geese. No... that is alot of geese!
            Like Margo I've sized my inside border to fit my pieced border. That's easier then making your pieced border fit your quilt top.
            You might want to check out Deb Tucker's booth at the Nashville Show. She is Studio 180 Designs. Deb has a "wing clipper" tool for making flying geese. Try it...I like it...
            Good luck on your quilt and have fun at the show...
            Barbara, what show are you referring to???
            I'm not sure that Margarita can make it to Nashville, since she live in Venezuela!!

Comment

Originally posted by Margarita
              That would be really interesting if I understood it! How embarasssing, would you mind terribly looking up the Pattern and Month for me, please? I have downloaded all the blocks of the month from last year and this (to make in my next life) and would be very interested to see what you mean, perhaps I should set out to conquer flying geese in my next project! My quilting buddies today decided for me, and I am with them, that I should put a plain border on about two thirds of a block deep, 6", and I can use my strippy border idea for the binding which I think may be very effective although a bit fiddly to do. The border will be navy blue and I'm going to quilt a cable in it with cream coloured cotton, my friend has done a quilt with this and it looks pretty good, I'll be quilting the whole thing with cream colour so it will be a natural carry over.
              Margarita, check out the directions in Month 2 of last year's (2009) Stars For a New Day BOM

Comment

Thank you so much Margo, I'll be looking at that to see if it shines light on my goose dilemma!

Comment

Margo..opps...sorry! Margarita said she was going to Houston, not Nashville as I wrote in my last post. I just edited my post to say Houston. I hope I have it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by makesgeese
                    Margo..opps...sorry! Margarita said she was going to Houston, not Nashville as I wrote in my last post. I just edited my post to say Houston. I hope I have it right now.
                    No problem! I live in Tennessee, and didn't want to miss a show in Nashville because I wasn't aware of it!! :lol:

Comment

Well that's the end of strippy border! We seem to be onto geese now and I was very interested in your remarks about making it easier - anything that eases my path is Good! I looked on Deb Tucker's website and it is hard to see how it works so I wrote and asked her if she will have a stand at the Quilt Show in ..Houston! I also looked up Sue Garman's advice about inner borders, very interesting and have that filed away in my brain somewhere for future reference. Thanks for all the help and posts, it's been really lovely to be able to consult fellow quilters from the grades above!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 43 users online. 0 members and 43 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X