[vb_main_1]

stabilizers ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

stabilizers ???

I have 2 large wall hangings that will need a stabilizer for machine applique. I would like to know the differences [ if any] between, Misty Fuse,Steam-a-Seam & Wonder Under. I don't want sewing problems such as gunking up my needle, is one better then another? I appreciate any & all info .
    Happy soon-to-be-Fall! Nancygail in N.Y.

Hi. NONE of the products you mention are stabilizers. They all serve to fuse fabrics. Misty fuse is a fantastic light as a feather product, the others are paper-backed, but none of the three will gunk up your needle. As far as fusibles and stabilizers go, none comes to mind as creating a problem with the machine. Different quilters prefer different products. Stabilizers are tear-away, wash away, or remain in the quilt (Ricky's fantastic stable stuff). They can be fusible, but I would recommend you buy a bit of different products and try them all out to see which suits your purpose.

Comment

Somewhere along the line I purchased a pack of 12 different stabilizers from Madeira. It is a starter set, and allows you to try tear aways, wash aways, and cutaways. It's just called "Premium Stabilizers - Starter Set" by Madeira. I have not found my favorite yet, as most work well. I did just recently use the "COTTON SOFT" one and really liked it. No puckering, and tore away easily. Dawn

Forgot to add that the pack can be purchased in many places (Overstock.com, eBay, Nancy' Notions,etc.) for around $13 plus shipping.

Comment

I'm sorry, I had a "senior moment"...I MEANT fusible !!!!!! Thanks for your quick replys....much appreciated. Nancy

Comment

Ahhh, no wonder you were worried about the sticky build up on the needle! I do not have a favorite fusible, but learned a couple of tricks. A TQS member shared that the titanium needle is less prone to build up. And, I learned I get much less build up if I do not applique the item soon after fusing it! Let it sit for a few hours, maybe even a day. I do like "Steam a Seam 2." Dawn

Comment

My favorite is wonder under.

Comment

My favorite is steam a seam lite 2. I get the pages in a pkg of 5 at Joann's when the notions wall is 50% off. But in a pinch... use my 40% off coupon.
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
              Tired. 
              Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
              Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

Also store the fusible s in ziploc bags. keeps it "fresher".
                Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                Tired. 
                Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

WOW...you guys are great !!!!! Very good advice & I thank you all.....again. Nancygail
                  Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                  Tired. 

Comment

Shades Soft fuse!
                    http://www.shadestextiles.com/produc.../softfuse.html

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 170 users online. 0 members and 170 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                    Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X