[vb_main_1]

Setting 1 Block on Point

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting 1 Block on Point

I am making a table topper for my sister-in-law. Where do I find on EQ7 the size to cut my setting triangles & borders? Why doesn't this print?

Since I haven't found the answer in EQ, I've been figuring as I go along. I have a 9" block with 1" (finished) sashing & corner posts. Now ready to set it on point. The triangles will cut off the corner posts so they will be triangles. (Basically, fit to the 9" length of the sashing.)

I have looked in a lot of my books and googled online and done a search here. I think I need to use the formula for figuring the corner triangles when setting a whole quilt with blocks on point. Right? It is the finished block divided by 1.414 plus 7/8 inch (.875 if you are using a calculator.) Is this what you think? At the same time, I'm fine to have the yellow triangles a tad big and trim it down. Just wanted a jumping off place!

I'll post an image from EQ7. My center star is different, I just used this for my design process. I'm using Connecticut from Carol Doak's 50 PP stars. SIL was born in CT.

Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

You know since I posted this, she'll appear on the forums tonight. ops:
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

I have an app on my phone and I just put in 9" block and it says Square for 4 side triangles : cut square 14" and cut twice , it also says to be safe, add 1/4" to 1/2" to the square. not sure if this helps. Dorothy Suffolk UK
      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
      Tired. 

Comment

I just checked the cutting numbers in the Quilter's Reference Tool and the formula is as you thought: Finished block size divided by 1.414, plus 7/8" for half square triangles. If you don't know what the finished block size will be you can take the measurment of the beginning block, in this case 9", and multiply by 1.414 plus the 7/8". I did that, took 9" x 1.414 = 12.726 plus .875 = 13.601. If I were doing this I might cut it out in paper first to test because Murphy's Law usually applies to my projects.
        Cindy
        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
        Tired. 

Comment

Originally posted by cbear
          I just checked the cutting numbers in the Quilter's Reference Tool and the formula is as you thought: Finished block size divided by 1.414, plus 7/8" for half square triangles. If you don't know what the finished block size will be you can take the measurment of the beginning block, in this case 9", and multiply by 1.414 plus the 7/8". I did that, took 9" x 1.414 = 12.726 plus .875 = 13.601. If I were doing this I might cut it out in paper first to test because Murphy's Law usually applies to my projects.
          Cindy
          This is one formula I found but DIVIDED BY 1.414 + .875. I did that formula and was just shy of 7 1/4". I added a half inch security measure and cut my 2 squares 7 3/4" and then diagonally once. It was ample with just enough to square it up when I was done! So I guess this is the right way!

I'm going to miter all three of the outer borders so that is today's project. I have the 3 border sets sewn together. I was too tired to consider miters last night. :?
          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
          Tired. 

Comment

Yep, that's why I would have been better off trying the paper first, Murphy's Law again. I thought I used to know how to do this! (and that was just yesterday) ops: I'm glad you got the right measurment. Don't forget to show the finished quilt!
            Cindy
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            Tired. 

Comment

I posted pictures of the top on my TQS blog under the title, Table Topper for My SIL.
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              Tired. 

Comment

You guys - Creative Grids has just come out with a new ruler specifically to easily create set-in triangles. Comes in two sizes (got both!) Called the Side Setting Triangular Ruler, they are in the shape of a house. Very clever. Not cheap, but the best ideas usually aren't! And I LOVE it when I find a new "gotta have it" when it comes to quilting. Not on topic, but also check out the new colors that have just come out in Shiva Paintsticks - iridescent tropical colors, including a gorgeous lime green. Another new find are the variegated silk threads by YLI. The new Superior silk thread is fantastic - I couldn't pass up the introductory sale price, coupled with incredibly cheap shipping - yeah, I got the whole set, inspired by Patsy Thompson - her DVD's are incredible, and her stencils are the best, and great to use while you learn to do free-motion designs. 8)

Comment

Joyce, your table topper is beautiful. I can't wait to see how you quilt it! Paula, I just got a spool of Superior's silk thread to try. I haven't used silk before and thought it might be fun to try it on some practice quilts that I am doing following Patsy Thompson's instructions. I haven't tried the paint sticks, but your description of the colors sound wonderful.
                  Cindy

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 221 users online. 0 members and 221 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X