[vb_main_1]

how to get out pencil markings

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to get out pencil markings

Can anyone help? I have just completed hand quilting a large quilt in a grid pattern. I experimented with various ways of marking but now that I am finished I am having trouble getting out the pencil markings I used in the borders. The background is a white on white fabric. I've tried the solution of rubbing alcohol, water and Palmolive soap with a toothbrush but it doesn't get it all out. Any other suggestions?

Try erasing them. Get a large WHITE eraser. May work. Good luck.

Comment

I tried the eraser but had to rub really hard. So gave up on that. I think my problem is the fabric. The white on white embossed fabric presents problems. A note to keep for future projects.

Comment

what is the bg color? - with this color try to pass on the pencil lines.
        good luck

Comment

I have noticed the "embossed" pigment/paint (or what ever it is used to produce the design) often will not release the graphite from a pencil. The only solution I have ever had luck with is to use the white eraser and rub hard. Even then I can often still see traces of the graphite. The best solution is not to draw on the embossed areas. But that is a royal pain. I have determined it is the nature of the beast, and as mentioned, something to remember the next time a white-on-white or beige-on-beige fabric is used.

Comment

You're right!

Comment

Get a O-tip and try, Shout. The laundry stain remover. Or bleach. Just be careful with the bleach when you rinse. Only rinse the white fabric. I have had good results with both methods.

Comment

This doesn't help for this time but Sharon Schamber does several sprayings of starch before she marks her quilts and says that keeps it from being difficult to get the markings out.

Comment

I, too, had been having problems not only with graphite but with the Sew Easy white pencil, Pounce powder and the Clover white marker that is supposed to iron off. I have been working with hand-dyed fabrics and sometimes I think these fabrics hold onto to the markings more tenaciously than other cottons. I recently bought a product called Sew Clean and it has worked great. It is an orange-based cleaner and I found it at one of the vendors at the Milwaukee Machine Quilting show. You might give that a try.

Comment

Be careful - there's a product with the same name that is used to unclog sewers!!!! Be sure you go to Bear Thread Designs! They also have some very interesting products. Worth checking out. And thanks for the heads up, Robin (also my middle name). THAT'S why I post on the forum, in answer to someone else's silly poll!

Comment

A white putty eraser that artists use for pencil and charcoal would be good before you wash. Otherwise try a fabric eraser or Fuller's earth on sample first

Comment

A white putty eraser that artists use for pencil and charcoal would be good before you wash. You do not rub with this sort of eraser - you press and pull off or dab at it. Otherwise try a fabric eraser or Fuller's earth on sample first

Comment

Recently I had my own pencil nightmare with Sewline's black marker. The package says marks wash out easily with water and because Sewline features ceramic leads, I assumed the black was also ceramic. I used it to mark an applique design on the back of white borders, marking rather heavily. I unfortunately miscalculated the length of the borders, cutting them too short. The fix to solve that problem meant the marked design was not used on the corners. The marked lines were visible from the front but I assumed they would disappear in the final wash. After washing the finished quilt, I was horrified to still clearly see the black lines . Boy, I went through every known stain remover and remedy I could find and nothing would remove those marks. I finally called Sewline and a nice lady in quality control suggested Dritz Magic Wand Stain Remover. It didn't remove the marks completely, but faded them enough that they are not visible. The graphite Sewline is a great tool, but one has to know it's limitations to correctly use it.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 117 users online. 0 members and 117 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X