[vb_main_1]

Help with embroidery

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with embroidery

I did an embroidery of a flower, rather dense stitching (36,000). I am still fairly new to this side of quilting. It got a lot of puckers around the flower. I used Presto (fusible interfacing) and then two sheets of tearaway because of the amount of stiching. Any suggestion on what else I could have done to make it smooth?

Karen, if they don't see it and respond here, you might want to send a PM to JoJo community/my-profile/ladyquilter
    or community/ about embroidery issues.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks Margo. I sent a message to JoJo.

Comment

Karen, Do you have software for your embroidery unit? This sounds like you need to reduce the stitch density. Even if you don't have software, join groups.yahoo.com/berninav6software. when your membership is accepted (everyone gets in unless you are wacko, and probably even then :lol: ), do a search for "density" and you'll be able to see the discussions about this.

To fix density, you may need to increase the spacing between stitches. Unfortunately, many OESD designs are very dense, beautiful, but dense & it helps to know how to adjust them.

Hope this helps
        Susan

Comment

you can also use a temporary spray adhesive to the back, under the hoop, and add layers of stabilizer. All this takes a little time to figure out what works for what application.

Comment

Thanks I will give that a try. Yes it is very dense and I do have the software V6 but still a newbie with it all.

Comment

This may be TMI, but these links are gleaned from the yahoo groups website

http://lindeegembroidery.com/embroid...nding-density/

http://www.flyingneedle.ca/embroider...idery-designs/

http://www.flyingneedle.ca/embroider...-compensation/

http://freeembroiderystuff.embroider...tails/318.aspx

Comment

Karen,

I think the others that have answered are right. You have to both reduce the density of your embroidery and increase the stability. Spray starch is great for helping with that. If you add a bit of spray starch before you embroider that helps a lot. You didn't say what weight of fabric you are using..that also has some impact. If you are using quilting cotton fabric, it should work really well with the addition of spray starch and reduction of density. If it is something else and either more drapey or lighter, you may need to iron on a fairly stable interfacing as well as add a stabilizer. I also pull the fabric fairly taught in the hoop. They warn about not pulling it too tightly, but I think they mean to the point of distortion. I had a lot of problems when I first started computerized embroidery and it was frustrating, but I really love it now. You just have to keep on trying things until it works right. Then lecture your machine and tell her to behave herself and hold your mouth just right. Works every time (unless you leave the room, then she'll break a needle or thread). :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

I really appreciate all the great advice. Plan on trying some more when I have more time. Thanks a bunch. You guys are great!!!!

Comment

One more thing that really helped me learn was Quilt University's classes by Joann Winn. http://www.quiltuniversity.com

They are a bonus deal. The embroidery designs alone that she gives her students are worth the price of admission. They are exquisite! Right now she is just about to begin a beginning manual digitizing course for Bernina and Embird, but it's closed. Another one is coming up soon, if it's not full already.

Take all her courses in order of difficulty.
                    Embroidery is so much fun. I actually used it to quilt an entire wall hanging & it came out beautifully. I'm so proud of myself.

Comment

When I first started to do machine embrodiery, I was always pulling my fabric too tight in the hoop and was always getting puckers. I had to learn how to hoop properly. If you pull the fabric to tightly, when you remove the hoop and the fabric relaxes, it will pucker around your design. Once you figure out how to hoop your fabric, it becomes much easier to do it and not get puckers.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 213 users online. 0 members and 213 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X