[vb_main_1]

Round Robin Tips

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round Robin Tips

I've always wanted to do a Round Robin quilt but never had a group with which to do one. Our quilt guild is doing one starting in September. Meanwhile between the dream and the reality, I saw a TQS show where the guest mentioned you'll get a good one every 10. :shock:

The center block that I need by September is to be 8" finished. Any suggestions for a good block? (I love paper piecing so would consider doing that with a tiny detailed block.)
    Should I use some of my hand-dyed fabric or will that throw others off?
    We are to put some fabric in the brown bag for them to use but they'll also add their own fabrics.
    We have rules for each round.

Have you done a Round Robin? Tips? Suggestions?
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Joyce, if you Google "round robin quilts" there are lots of sites to check out. Maybe that will help?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Consider it a LEARNING EXPERIENCE for you and your partners... DO NOT USE SOMETHING that is heirloom, or you invested your life into. Our guild usually had people start with a UFO block/ project / medallion... Any size was okay. We then would put PEICED / APPLIQUE boarders and embellishments on to the project. But it was a learning experience for everyone and skill levels very so take that into consideration. MY favorite wall hanging started with a fused machine applique UFO that I had never got around to working on... the borders were fantastic. ( No picture cause it now lives in my Grand newphews home. )

Our goal was everyone was to put 4- 8 hours worth of work on the project when you had it. We were to put thought into what we made and try and design something special that related to what was done before. I used a lot of ideas I got from my TQS DVDs. I tried to streach my comfort zone while doing a good job technically.

Need help Sharyn Craig wrote several books on how to deal with wonky / incorrect size blocks.. how to set quilts for sensational results.... Simple Stradigies by Lynn Roddy Brown was a good reference for me too.

A third book that gave me ideas was SIMPLE QUILTS THAT LOOK LIKE A MILLION by Nicole Chambers. There are several books on the market that deal with ROUND ROBBINS.

I am looking forward to future challenges and round robins.

lADY RAGS

Comment

I have participated in 2 round robins, with great success. I LOVED the finished projects, but must admit one should go into it without any preconceived ideas. The end result is a HUGE surprise. For my center blocks, I used a Dresden plate on one and a pieced basket in the other. The center block should be something that provides a good focal point. My experience is that greater care is taken when working on someone else's project than on one's own; but there are still varying degrees of abilities represented. I agree with the previous comments - don't use something you greatly value, but rather select a block you like but don't have time to make a quilt with or an orphan block. It never ceases to amaze me how the same 5-6 people taking turns working on the same quilts can follow the same instructions and end up with 5-6 quilts that are all so different! If you have plans for this quilt, I'd suggest putting a note with it so that whomever is working on it will know....something like, "I can't stand having orange in my quilts," or "I plan to give this quilt as a baby gift to a little girl," or "I really like primitive-themed quilts." That will give your group insight into your likes and dislikes and intents for the project. Sometimes, once the project has begun its round robin, you might have a mental block - deciding what to put on that border can be a challenge in itself. Don't be shy! Consult other quilting friends and get ideas - eventually the quilt will "speak" to you. Have a wonderful time doing it, and I look forward to seeing the finished project(s)!

Comment

Round robins are fun! We put in pieces of fabric as suggestions on what to use, we stated the theme and/or colorway. The one I participated in was not the medallion with borders, rather it was blocks in a size or range of sizes (mine was 3", 6", 9" or 12" blocks) with an autumn theme, that I assembled when everyone had participated. It's a favorite quilt that I pull out every September as a lap quilt! Another version of round robin is to make row quilts, everyone makes a row in a theme. One that was particularly successful was a farm theme, with rows of ducks, clouds, corn rows, etc. What a fun challenge!

Comment

My small group is currently working on a round robin. We got our rules from the internet, basically following one that was found in Australia. We have been working on it for nearly a year. The unveiling will be in December. We haven't seen our own quilt since we passed it off. Most of us sent off fabric with our quilts, but we can add as we see fit.
            Our guild is doing a mystery round robin, however, we are not passing it off but working on our own! We will get the instructions for a round when we complete the previous round. It will start next month, and so far we have a good number of people signed up for it! I think the fact that it is not being passed around and so we have control over our own quality appeals to a lot of people! Also, you can call it quits at any time if it gets overwhelming.
            I have found that working on someone else's quilt makes me be extra careful!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

Thanks for chatting about this with me! I did spend time with google last night and saw a lot of RR quilts. Most had bigger starting blocks so could be more involved. I sometimes wonder if the 8" size is a typo but it hasn't been corrected either.

So is a simple block more impacting than a harder block for the center?

Thanks for reminding me to not have preconceived notions about the final outcome. The rules are already set with the center size and each border rule. I think 2 of the borders are 'Quilter's Choice but not the same as the previous border'. That will throw a curve to all the quilts!

I'm not sure if I have future plans for the quilt since it will probably just be wall hanging size with the small start size.

I like the idea of spending just these hours on the quilt I have each month. I can see how it could get long!

Still open to more tips!
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              Tired. 
              Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
              Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

As soon as I can sit at the computer for more the a bit, I will finish working on a blog about the Round Robin quilts I have been involved with. I have done 5 or 6 of them, pleased with all off them. I found the last one, not quilted yet. My friend Beth is quilting it. Then I need to bind it. get a picture and do a blog for all of you to enjoy. Margarita in Auburn, CA
                Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                Tired. 

Comment

I'll be excited to see your blog post, Margarita!
                  Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                  Tired. 

Comment

We always include a pass port with our round robins... In the passport the participants are suppose to write down how much they spend in shopping while they have that project in their possession. ( It is not a tally of how much you spent on the project as we can get fabrics from out stash to put into the project&gt We are also suppose to write journal notes on other projects being worked on while you have the round robin in your pocession. ( A lot of the quilters are retired so they have time to work on multiple projects. Quilters that work usually worked only on the round robin till it was done. ) Some of the round robins had universal directions that was suppose be incorportated in the design at certain stages... ie Use some half square triangles in the second border. Other round robins had directions from the owner of the quilt... ie Use only thimbleberry fabric please. This quilt will be given as a gift to a friend etc. Every round robin had different rules to abide by but whoever was hosting the round robin. The finished results were shown at a guild meeting... They were intersting and most were beautiful.

Lady Rags

Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                    Tired. 

Comment

http://forum/forum-questions-and-sug...und-robin-tips

Found this in google... I guess we are repeating the topic but that is okay ...
                      Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                      Tired. 

Comment

Originally posted by LadyRags
                        http://www.thequiltshow.com/bb3/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=1238

Found this in google... I guess we are repeating the topic but that is okay ...
                        I should have searched here first!

I see this thread above is mostly about making the rules and I don't need that part. The rules are already sent out by another. I'm just participating!

Today I decided on a Carol Doak pattern, California from Fifty Paper-Pieced Stars. I chose the quilt shop with the bright & modern fabrics and have a selection of bright pinks, greens, and a bit of yellow. I'll get up a blog post when I get my block done. Still frustrated about the small size of the starting block. But I won't be a whiner at guild. LOL!
                        Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                        Tired. 

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 364 users online. 0 members and 364 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X