[vb_main_1]

Stitch in the Ditch without Walking Foot

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stitch in the Ditch without Walking Foot

I recently bought a #10 foot for the Bernina. It has a guard that makes stitching in the ditch accurate & easy; HOWEVER, it's not a dual feed like the walking foot and my top is moving a bit more than I'm comfortable with. I'm using wool batting & I've basted with pins (lots!) but maybe not enough? I'm about to switch back to the walking foot, but thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this experience, and if so if there's some way to work around it.

I don't yet have a walking foot, so when I have done quilting which was't free-hand, I reduced the pressure of my foot so it wasn't bearing down so hard on the quilt sandwich. Would this idea help you?

Rosemary

Comment

Good answer, Rosemary!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Good idea! I'll try it. Thanks Rosemary :-)

Susan

Comment

Have you tried basting spray instead of pins (see Patsy Thompson's video in the Classroom section). This might help with the excess movement of your fabric.

PatTheQuilter

Comment

Hi, I don't have a Bernina, I'm sewing on a Janome. It has a dual feed stitch in ditch foot, that I don't use anymore
            since it's not as accurate as the open toe foot. So if your even feed food has an opening in the front it might
            work better than the ditch stitcher foot without even feed. Isn't it disappointing to buy a new foot and then
            it doesn't live up to its expectations? Kathy

Comment

Hi Susan...I have been quilting a log cabin quilt and using the "walking foot" I move my needle as far right as possible and guide the front inside edge of the foot close to the seam to stitch in the ditch. It works great as long as I don't loose concentration.. You know the mind wanders sometimes when your doing the same stitch.. Or maybe it's just me....LOL Maybe this will help you, instead of using the edge stitch foot. You will find other projects to use this foot. Nan

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 51 users online. 0 members and 51 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X