[vb_main_1]

Sewing over pins

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing over pins

I try to never do it because it tends to bend the thin pins that I use and I always fear that it will damage the machine. I have watched professionals however do it and what they said is that if you go 'really slowly' there is less chance of a needle breaking or causing damage.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
    <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

I DO sew over pins - but that said, my machine had to go back to where it was born - at least to Chicago. The needle broke in half and got jammed down into the bobbin area. SO - here is my advice.....
    1. use extra fine pins
    2. pin UNDER where the 1/4"seam is
    3. and SLOOOWWWWWWWW down

Perhaps it is not as dangerous texting and driving - but at least these tips will give you a fighting chance.

Comment

Always have. Never any problems - I think instinctively you slow down. But NOW, I am glueing more, and pinning less. In really hairy situations, I've been known to hand-tack the intersection. (Shhhhhh..) I suspect that Elmers hasn't figured out that their probable jump in sales is due to us quilters - when they catch on, they will probably change the label to something quilty, and then quadruple the price, on smaller bottles, of course. Really - try the glue.

Comment

I rarely sew over a pin-if I do I'm walking the machine by hand. Why take a chance?

Comment

I only do it by accident. It ruins my fine pins so that they bend or subsequently snag the fabric and I go through enough machine needles as it is!

From Dorset, England

Comment

I just had problems with my machine. When I took it in for repairs, the first thing they said was that I had gone over pins and as a result the machine was out of timing. As it turned out they had to replace position brackets in the bobbin area. Whether the damage was the result of hitting pins or not, I'm not sure, but for the costs of repair I will make every effort not to sew over pins.

From Dorset, England

Comment

I don't usually sew over them but once I hit one and the fine pin broke and the end went into my cheek. I am now very careful even though it was a freak incident. At least it missed my eye.

From Dorset, England

Comment

I accidentally sewed over a pin with my Bernina. It knocked the machine out of time. I had to take it in to get it fixed.

From Dorset, England

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 53 users online. 0 members and 53 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X