[vb_main_1]

What type of machine do you use?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stmpr2
    Funny how we form a relationship with these machines and find it hard to part with them. HMMMMMMMMMMM.....Phyl
    Yes, indeed. They have a personality and become like a pet sometimes. I suspect it's part of our personality we endow on them, but fun and makes them hard to part with them nevertheless. :wink: Cheers, BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

Twenty years ago I purchased a Bernina 150 and liked it. Last year I traded it in for an upgraded Bernina 200 "trade in". My Bernina dealer gave us a good price and I was able to add the BSR. Now I love my Bernina, I can do more with my machine (multiple decorative stitches, embroider, and quilt). My suggestion is to look at the used machines, talk to the dealer, let the dealer know what you want, be patient, it'll come.
      Funny the relationship we form with these machines, because my was used I call it "Father John" after the person who previously owned it. Good Luck.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

I have 3 Pfaff machines -- oops, 4. I own 2 embroidery machines, a quilting machine and a "Pfaff" serger (Hobbylock). My mother (God rest her soul) was a Pfaff person, also. She had a machine that she bought in 1950 that one of my nieces is STILL using! It just goes and goes and goes. She takes it in to the dealer every year for a "well baby check" and he's amazed EVERY TIME! He wants to buy it, but, of course, she won't sell. I love my machines because they are very reliable. I don't have much trouble with any of them, at all. I like reliability in the things I buy. Did you know that Pfaff came out with a built-in walking foot in 1990? The first model is one of the machine I have and it, too, is still just going and going. (I guess I really have 5 Pfaffs -- I don't use this one much. It's stored in a closet and I take it out to run it every 2 months so that it won't ' "gum up" (or whatever technical term they're using now).
        Quiltingly yours,
        From the beautiful
        Canyon Country of

South-east Utah!
        myraung@yahoo.com

Comment

i bought old Bernina like an old boot, but it is so great that i love it!! cant without it!
          i was afraid at the beginning to buy 2nd hand sewing machine, but if you have a good trusted source than you can have 1 year guaranty just in case some thing goes wrong
          Quiltingly yours,
          From the beautiful
          Canyon Country of

South-east Utah!
          myraung@yahoo.com

Comment

I have a Janome 6500 that I use for most of my quilting and also a Janome 10001 that embroiders and does just about everything else. The 6500 has a bigger harp space and that is the main reason I bought it, also if one breaks down I have a spare machine.
            I would look into the Janome 7700, it has just come out and it looks like it would really be a workhorse.

Marge
            Quiltingly yours,
            From the beautiful
            Canyon Country of

South-east Utah!
            myraung@yahoo.com

Comment

I have a 42-year-old Bernina 730 that my mother bought new for $600. That was a huge amount at the time! It's the greatest machine. If you can't afford a computerized machine, I'd suggest you buy a mechanical Bernina. I think they still make one . . . is it the 1008?

I also have three Featherweights, which I take to classes and retreats (well, I only take one at a time), and nine other old black Singers. I love them all!

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I have got a Janome 6600p - a very nice machine. I also have a featherweight, manufactured in 1953. Do you ladies with featherweights service them yourselves, and how often would you oil them etc? Thanks!

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

For the last four years that I've owned it, I service my 1947 featherweight myself. I oil/clean it after I use 12 bobbins. About once a year, I grease it. I change the needle after four bobbins. I know how many bobbins I use because I fill 12 at a time.

Comment

I have hardly used mine - I bought it about a year ago, but it sews so nicely I think I'll start to use it regularly. I just wanted to check how often it needs to be oiled etc. I think I read somewhere that they were originally made to be serviced at home - mine is a 1953 model (same as me!)

Comment

If you don't already have one, you might want to get a copy of Nancy Johnson-sebro's book about Featherweights. It includes a copy of the original owner's manual plus lots of other info about them!

http://www.amazon.com/Featherweight-...658&sr=1-1

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

When my sister told me about her latest pasttime--quilting--in 2003 and suggested I try it, I didn't think it was something I saw myself doing. But, I gave it a try and bought a Brother CS8072 at WalMart, which I thought was cheap enough in case I didn't like quilting. Three years and close to 200 quilts later, my wonderful machine died--probably from exhaustion. So, I went out and bought a Babylock Espire, only because the Bernina the storekeeper was demonstrating gave her all sorts of trouble. The Espire is fantastic for me--over 300 stitches, up/down needle, automatic threading and cutting thread, beautiful stitching, knee control, problem solver computer, separate automatic bobbin winder with the needle threaded, great lighting, lots of presser feet which also came with my old Brother, and it dusts and does dishes too.

Great machine; I love it. I'm also addicted to all things quilt and quilt-related. Someday I'll tell you about all my thread. :lol:

Lilian B

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I have a Janome 6600P that I bought a year ago. So far so good. I wish I would have know that the 7700 was to be released this year as I would have waited for it. Budget was my main reason for going to Janome. I just cannot justify Bernina prices. If I won a lottery I would most likely go there but am very happy with the reliability of the Janome products. I think that you should check out Leah Day's latest review on the 7700.

Having a local rep and service person is really important in your choice. Best of luck to you.

Comment

I have a Bernina 1530 that I bought new over 15 years ago. Before that I used a Singer and then a Viking. I wasn't very pleased with either of those. My Bernina has been great and I wouldn't give it up for anything. However, for most of the time I've had it, I sewed clothing, pieced patchwork and did machine applique. A few years ago I got serious about free-motion quilting and that has led to my only problem with this machine. The harp area is way too small to manuver a large quilt. I recently completed a 60 x 60 inch wallhanging and I wouldn't want to ever try to free-motion anything bigger. Good luck in your search

Comment

I have a Pfaff and a Brother. The Brother gets far more use than the Pfaff. The Brother is completely mechanical and cost one third of the price of the computerized Pfaff. The Brother has a wider throat, so it is easier to quilt with, will adjust to varied levels of thickness under the foot, is a straight stitcher only, and gives a very nice quiting stitch. My Pfaff won talk to the computer, so has lost half of it's functionality.

Comment

I have a Pfaff and a Brother. The Brother gets far more use than the Pfaff. The Brother is completely mechanical and cost one third of the price of the computerized Pfaff. The Brother has a wider throat, so it is easier to quilt with, will adjust to varied levels of thickness under the foot, is a straight stitcher only, and gives a very nice quiting stitch. My Pfaff wont talk to the computer, so has lost half of it's functionality.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 83 users online. 0 members and 83 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X