[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

batting for warm weather quilting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh snowplow, it must be wonderful to have old family quilts. I seem to be the first in my family to enjoy the crafty things.
    cjtinkle brings up another question- is it better to buy batting off the roll or packaged? Ah so much to learn.

Comment

Hi Snowplow ........... I am also in Minnesota and also have a quilt from my greatgrandmother. I treasure it. I love cotton batting. But after reading all the great reply's about wool. I may consider that down the road.
      Where in MN are you ? I live in central MN ..... but travel often to the metro area to see the kids.

Comment

I like Quilters Dream Wool, it has a nice loft, but is soft and easy to hand quilt (and lightweight). I prefer to buy off the roll as it's less likely to be crinkled and distorted, but if you leave a packaged bat to relax (and even give it half an hour on a cool tumble dry cycle) it should be fine.

Comment

OK so I think I have it now all I need to do is find the Quilters Dream wool on a roll here in Portland and I am all set. Well there is the small think of finishing the quilt top.... hmm I guess I'd better get busy.

Comment

I think Hobbs 80/20 is a nice all-uses quilt batt, and it isn't real warm.

Comment

Hobbs also makes a washable wool batt that I have used and like a lot. I have a roll of it that I bought at Hancock's of Paducah last year. I have trouble finding Quilter's Dream wool locally.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I was able to find the wool batting here so now all I have to do is finish the quilt top sigh. I need to spend less time reading forums and more time quilting. Too bad work gets in the way.

Comment

I was super stingy on one of my first quilts and got the cheapest batting they had, aka, a low-loft polyester and it is wonderfully cool in the summer. I am the kind of person who sticks my nose up at polyester but I live in LA and I love that I can keep a quilt on my bed year-round. The poly doesn't hold in body heat worth a flip!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 261 users online. 0 members and 261 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X