[vb_main_1]

Photo Quilts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo Quilts

I'm excited about the new classroom series on transfering photos to fabric. I have been disappointed with the June Taylor pretreated fabric sheets you buy at JoAnn. I have used it for labels and the ink fades quite a bit after just a couple washes. Does the Bubble Jet Set and Rinse work better?

I use Bubble Jet Set exclusively for my labels and photos, backing fabric with heavy duty freezer paper sheets . I have had trouble running pretreated fabrics through my printer and even took them to a copy place--they would not run through their copy machine either without mangling. I can email you my instructions for this if you wish. The labels do not fade with washing. Send me an email through my profile (northwind).

Comment

Candy,
      I've sent you a private message as well. Thanks for your generosity.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

For all interested: I have sent the attachment to Margo for posting on the forum, if that is possible. I am a little forum challenged ops:
        I ordered my freezer paper sheets from http://www.cjenkinscompany.com. My printer (HP1350 series) is old and I have noticed that there is another Bubble Jet for newer printers. In a nutshell, print on silk or cotton (200-count for photos). Shake solution and pour enough in aluminum pan to saturate fabric. Use rubber gloves in well-ventilated area. Let stand 5 minutes. Lift out of pan, let excess drip off, let dry (use hair-dryer if impatient like me). You can pour remaining solution back in bottle. Iron dry fabric to shiny side of freezer paper, trim to 8-1/2x11 if needed. Print and then let sit for 30 minutes. Hand wash in mild dish detergent in cold water for 2 minutes--the detergent is important to prevent fading. Again, I use the hair dryer to dry. I have had my solution since 2004 and it still works but have finally just about used it up so it is very cost effective. Good luck.

Comment

C Jenkins company now has a product out called "Hewlett Packard Bubble Jet Set" which is designed for those who use HP printers that use Vivera inks. I can attest to the fact that it does work better if you have that type of printer. I believe, however, that you can only order it online (meaning that I have never seen that product on the shelves, even in stores which carry the regular Bubble Jet Set).

I would not want to be Jenkins, trying to keep my product line up to date with all the new printer & ink technologies!

BethMI

Comment

Thanks Candy! I'm glad you included the pertinent info here, because we can't add doc files on the forum. Maybe Jeanie will be covering some of this info.

In the meantime, I'm really glad to have a source for the heavy duty Freezer Paper!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

for those of you who emailed me, send me a private msg thru my profile, give me your email address and then I can send you my attachment on making labels. I thought of a couple things this morning--have not printed out photos for some time. When making labels, set your printer to BEST setting with black ink only (unless you are doing color). I believe that I have read that you should make color copies of even your black and white photos. My photo quilts have so far been made from black and white or sepia tone photos. Memory quilts make great gifts. You can see one of mine in my profile photos. I look forward to learning more tips from the new classroom.

Comment

Here is a copy/paste of Candy's info:

Making Quilt Labels with your Computer
                and Bubble Jet Set 2000

For best results, use only 100% silk or 100% cotton.
                TIP: Use 200-count cotton for printing photographs.
                Source: Bubble Jet Set, Bubble Jet Rinse (used to wash hand-dyed fabrics), and heavy-duty freezer paper: http://www.cjenkinscompany.com

READ ALL DIRECTIONS SO THAT EVERYTHING IS CLEAR TO YOU BEFORE PROCEEDING.

CAUTIONS: Use in a well-ventilated area; rubber gloves are recommended. Bubble Jet Set 2000 contains water, preservatives, and less than .001% formaldehyde.

Shake well. Pour enough solution into a flat pan (I use an aluminum 9x13 pan) to saturate the fabric. Let stand 5 minutes.

Lift fabric out of solution to allow some of the excess solution to drip back into the pan; lay the fabric flat on an old towel to blot out the remaining excess solution. DO NOT WRING THE FABRIC. Let the fabric dry (I use a hair dryer to speed up drying). You may pour the remaining solution back into the bottle for re-use.

Iron the dry fabric to the plastic (shiny) side of freezer paper; cut to 8-1/2 x 11 inches or a size that will go through your printer.

For best results, print immediately on treated fabric and let sit for 30 minutes.

Hand wash the printed fabric in cold water with a mild detergent for 2 minutes or machine wash in cold water with a mild detergent on the delicate cycle. Wash only one sheet of fabric at a time. You must use detergent; cold water alone may cause fabric to fade badly or to bleed.

Allow printed fabric to drip dry or lay flat on a towel (again, I use a hair dryer for faster results).

Instructions written and tested by Candy Prudhomme, 2004.06.22.
                Amended 2008.04.01.

Comment

Thanks for all your tips ladies. I'm anxious to try Bubble Jet. I have it ordered. Will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Hi, I use "Printed Treasures" for my memory quilts. I am currently working on my third memory quilt for the third granddaughter graduating from high school. I have tried both the other methods, and this seems to work best, with the least trouble. When I first started out 5 years ago, you had to put the quilt in the bathtub to hand wash, and lay flat to dry. Now with the Printed Treasures, it can be washed and dried in the machine. The photos do fade slightly, but not so you can really notice it. Also, the photos are nice and soft, and that's great for the quilt. Hope this helps, Grannyb

Comment

i like this quilts
                      thanks for this all informations .

Comment

You're very welcome. We all learn so much from the posts, it's a treat to be able to access them.

Comment

The Electric Quilt sheets are my new go-to. Fantastic!! The cheapest place I found was amazon and I got free shipping.
                          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
                          working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
                          Tired. 
                          Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
                          Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 49 users online. 0 members and 49 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X