[vb_main_1]

Hotfix Crystal Tool

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotfix Crystal Tool

I recently purchased a Hotfix Crystal Tool to add some Swarovski crystals to a piece that I am doing. Before I begin, are there some sage pieces of advice that I should know? The package has scant instructions & this is a piece of which I am very proud. :?:

I've used it with easy and lovely results. Practice a little, but then just go for it!

Comment

It really is easy to do if you make sure you have the right size tip so that the stone fits properly. I test it out before I put it on the heating wand. Then I line up some stones face up so that I don't have to chase them around the work surface. Be sure the back of the stone bubbles up on the entire surface, then stick it on. The wand gets very hot so be extra careful with your skin and work surface :wink: . Have fun

Looking out the window at Lake Leman in beautiful Switzerland

Comment

Thanks Ladies. I knew that I could count on you. .I will let you know how it works for me. Libbi, I have not heard from you in awhile. It is nice to see & hear from you again.

Comment

Thanks for asking this question. I just purchased the same tool but haven't found swarovski hot-fix crystals for it yet in multiple sizes. I'd love suggestions on where to purchase. Also, some sites list odd sizes such as 2.9SS (or something like that) instead of 3.0. Is that a concern when trying to figure if it will fit in my tips? Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

I got my 3.0 at Michael's but have not been able to find the 2.0 ones so I would like to know where to get those too. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Try http://www.artbeads.com. I'm not sure about the size you're looking for, but they have a good selection of sizes and colors. I have purchased from them.
              Fi

Comment

Hi, I buy mine onlline at M&J trimmings. They have a marvelous selection in both size and color and, if you are going to do a lot of them, buying them in bulk really saves A LOT of money. Here's the link:
                http://www.mjtrim.com/

I have found the genuine Swarovski crystals work better (have a better glue) and seem to sparkle more than other brands, but I haven't tried all of them, of course.

Also, if you have a mirror with a frame that you can place flat on the table, you can put your crystals on the mirror and pick up your crystals on your iron and see when the bubbles start. Doesn't take long. Also, if you get a nice long pin to help push down through the slits of the tips if they get stuck and to help place them before they are permanently placed, you can get them in the right place better.

I buy other trims there too, just fyi.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14

Comment

What great information you all have! Sewdreamy - what size and color do you use the most? Thanks for the link to the site. It looks like a great site with a lot of embellishments I haven't seen elsewhere.

Comment

Sewdreamy, I love going to M&J Trimmings when I go to NYC but was unaware they had an on-line site. Thanks for the tip, their prices are much better.

Comment

I have a Hot fix tool and have swarvski crystals and cheaper crystals. I have used it on my quilts and on T shirts. My T shirts have lasted through many washings.

What I have learned is you need to follow instructions and hold the tool on long enough. That is the hardest thing for me. I am too impatient.

Have fun with your tool. It has changed my quilting art and I love using it.

Hugs, Ann

Comment

Thanks Ann. I am making myself count to 15 on each crystal. I have a friend who will pick up the crystals in NYC for me. Yeh! I can see that I will use this tool many times.
                        Barbara

Comment

Melissa,

I use several sizes, the smallest I can find, the one closest to 4.0, and a largish size. I also have used hotfix pearls on my quilts. They are neat, but you can't hold them on as long as recommended because they will scorch. I just experimented until I found the right amount of time.

Barbara.

Glad I discovered M&J online. I found them when I was making my Stellar Nursery quilt which has many crystals and I was looking to buy them by a larger lot to save money. But then I realized I had used them decades ago when I had my fashion design business in upstate New York and made a lot of wedding clothes and made periodic visits to New York. How great it is to find such neat things on the Internet, except I could spend a mint! :roll:

Comment

I have also ordered from Birch Creek Quilts. They carry many sizes, including the small ones, and I've had good service from them.

http://www.bcqonline.com/

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 25 users online. 0 members and 25 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X