[vb_main_1]

Best Irons

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Irons

My very expensive Rowenta Iron just started leaking like a sieve. Does anyone have any ideas of just good steam irons for quilting?

Have you cleaned the reservoir? Try this:

To clean the reservoir of your iron, pour a solution that is one part vinegar to one part water in. Turn the iron on. Allow it to steam for about four minutes. Drain the iron for an hour, and be sure to repeat the process with clean water before you iron any clothing items.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

We had a string of about 4 or 5 Rowentas. Every one of them leaked and spit, and I decided I was NOT going to be a sucker anymore.

Now we buy Black & Decker irons. They get really hot, last a couple of years (longer than the stupid Rowentas), and when they have to be replaced, they cost $35 instead of $75.

And Elly Sienkiewicz (sp?) recommended them.

BethMI

Comment

DITTO for me I get the CLASSIC STEAM IRON FROM B&D.... love it but have not found it recently at Wallmart so I am going to buy it whereever I found it cause they are probably changing something THAT WORKED TO SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T

THAT VERMONT COUNTRY STORE had the dry iron no holes type of iron... a custom order item. But I can not find my link to the store.

Comment

Here is the link for The Vermont Country Store's dry iron. I have one and luv it!! Gets HOT! Gets hot FAST! And doesn't turn itself off!!

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/b...8?evar3=BROWSE

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

We saw the Reliable Iron at Market. Alex & Ricky were impressed with some of the features. They liked that the water and the iron face were heated separately so that the iron face keeps a steady temp even when heating the water. Does anyone have this iron? If so, what is your opinion?
            Livermore, California, USA near San Francisco

Comment

I bought the Oliso iron at MQX. So far, I love it. It gets good and hot and since it's got feet, I don't have to lift it.
              eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I was at the RIcky Tims seminar today and he recommended using a dry iron and a water spritzer bottle for pressing. He mentioned that by doing this, the iron never leaks.

Comment

My current iron is a Black & Decker Classic. Its made for steam but I've never put water in it. I use a spray bottle instead. It has auto shut-off which is good for me. It re-heats pretty fast.

Comment

I had a Rowenta & the knob to turn it on, turn it to whatever fabric I wanted to iron broke. I took it apart, took it to JoAnne's where I bought it, & even contact the Rowenta Co. VERY poor service, so therefore, no more expensive Rowenta's for me. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Ladyrags and Margo! I have been looking for this iron for years. I was able to order it immediately with the information you gave!

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

I have a GE iron from Walmart that I would consider an investment (apx. $40), the best thing that I like is that not only does it have an auto-shut-off, it also has an internal "breaker" that will disable the iron if not moved or used within a reasonable amount of time. And even, "if" I forget to turn it off, it will take care of it for me. The only way to turn it back on is to unplug it and plug it back in- even attempting to reset the power strip that I use doesn't work- it needs a physical break from the circuit...

Comment

When I was looking for a replacement for my iron I considered the Oliso and went looking for reviews as it was not cheap. It appeared that many people were not happy with their investment. I saw an ad for a new iron in a quilting magazine, not sure which one, for a Hamilton Beach Smart Lift Iron. It's on the upper end of their line of irons ($73) but I feel my money was well spent. It heats quickly, doesn't spit and has even distribution of steam when I need it. It has a switch if you want to have it set to auto turn off.

Comment

I have the Reliable Digital Velocity v100 and I love it! It's heavy, which I like, gets very hot, and it only has steam holes at the tip of the iron which is great for steaming small pieces. You can turn the steam on and off quickly with just a button. It wasn't cheap, but I always say, ya get what ya pay for!
                            Back to Quilting!

Comment

Does the Reliable Iron have auto-shutoff?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 389 users online. 0 members and 389 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X