[vb_main_1]

Fabrics stored in plastic bins

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabrics stored in plastic bins

I've stored ALL my precious fabrics this way... I know, I know it's NOT a good idea. I opened one & got dizzy from the chemical smell!
    For the time being this is it for stirage. What do others do in this situation? Are cardboard boxes my only alternative? I'd REALLY appreciate feedback. Best to all, Nancy

i LOVE my wire basket system - LOVE IT!!!!

Comment

I am with you Alex........ Wire baskets. I like the short stacks. They are more stable than the tall ones. I have a short one beside my chair and use the solid top as a table.

Barbara

Comment

I am with you Alex........ Wire baskets. I like the short stacks. They are more stable than the tall ones. I have a short one beside my chair and use the solid top as a table.

Barbara

Comment

I stack a lot on shelves where no light can get to it. Wire baskets are fine for "amateurs", but I would like to hear from other "UBER" collectors. I also use cardboard storage boxes from places like Staples and the like. I cut a strip from each fabric inside and staple it to the outside of the box so I can see what's what without destroying the room! (Not that my studio is neat, by any means)! Pulling fabrics can, and does, usually cause a disaster!

Comment

Wire baskets are for amateurs? :lol: :lol: Storing fabric in cardboard boxes, or in contact with wood, like on (unfinished) shelves, can ruin it. The acid can eat into the material. And plastic boxes not only emit chemicals, but if there's the least little bit of dampness, you're asking for problems with mildew. Don't expose the fabric to light, artificial or sunlight, it will fade the material. I learned these things throughout my quilting life, and wonder whether they're all true?

Most of my stash is in the closet on wire shelves, or in plastic baskets (open weave sides and no top). Some is in canvas baskets on shelves out of the closet. However, much of it is just folded on the shelves on a wicker etagere, and I have never seen any fading. But I would love to have just pull-out wire baskets like Alex has!

Brita

Comment

Because I live in a very dry climate and don't need to worry about moisture buildup I use plastic bins. What I do need to be concerned about is DG....this is decomposed granite....mini to micro bits of the mountains (as the wind erodes the granite) which then blows around on the wind here and get into every corner of the house. So being in a covered bin is a must. My stash is holding up very nicely in this storage system....no fading (the bins are in the closet and my windows are tinted slightly) no moisture and easily seen as to what fabric is in what bin. So far I have never noticed any chemical smell...so far, but I will be on the look out for smell from now on.

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

few years ago i bought from Ikea the 3 drawers that they have, but it seems the fabrics were too heavy for it, so i changed to wire baskets, loving it as well!

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

I use those big plastic storage drawers. I buy the ones which are sets of 3 wide drawers with a "formica" top on them, and then stack one on top of the other. This way, the fabric is in a plastic drawer (and protected from dampness if my basement floods (happened once) but they are not really closed up in the plastic because the drawers don't close so tightly. They allow the fabric to "breathe." I have had no problem with the smell at all.

I divide my drawers by color and type of fabric (batik, holiday, architectural, baby, patriotic, neutrals, etc.). I also have one drawer each for paper piecing supplies, applique supplies, kits, rulers, etc.

(I hate to tell you how many of these drawer sets I have. When I die, the yard sale will be VERY impressive!!!)

I am very pleased with my system. I just wish it were up in the dining room where my sewing machine sits.

BethMI

Comment

OK! I'm headed to "the Container Store" this weekend. I truly appreciate all who shared their thoughts & have decided to go see what I can do to make my fabrics life longer & better. I've checked out their site on the internet & see mucho ideas. NOW I'm excited!
                    Wire shelves, here I come ! Happy Nancy in NY

Comment

I just posted some pictures of my fabric in my profile pics. It is stored in the shallow plastic bins with NO TOPS. I fold the fabric the way Margo showed us in her webpage, which is basically wrapped around a 6 x 24 ruler and then folded into fourths. This works well with most any yardage. I can stack the bins on top of each other and store them in my bookcase. I can easily see and move my fabric and it is inexpensive.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by kmouse
                        I just posted some pictures of my fabric in my profile pics. It is stored in the shallow plastic bins with NO TOPS. I fold the fabric the way Margo showed us in her webpage, which is basically wrapped around a 6 x 24 ruler and then folded into fourths. This works well with most any yardage. I can stack the bins on top of each other and store them in my bookcase. I can easily see and move my fabric and it is inexpensive.

HTH
                        Your folded fabrics look GREAT!!!

My folding methods are described here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563306368ujRyrP

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

My problem with the wire baskets was that the fabric was just too heavy for them. These are quality wire baskets that slide on runners. By the way, if you find they "sway", just link them together with plastic ties and they'll be rock solid. But I'm afraid I'm just too much of a fabric pig for the system. What has worked best for me are the cardboard boxes with the lids which I can stack pretty high, and I can still see what's in them with my strips on the outside. But always looking for better ideas. Also ideas on how NOT to buy fabric. Been quilting on and off since the 70's - any one interested in calicoes? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by PDQuilt
                            My problem with the wire baskets was that the fabric was just too heavy for them. These are quality wire baskets that slide on runners. By the way, if you find they "sway", just link them together with plastic ties and they'll be rock solid. But I'm afraid I'm just too much of a fabric pig for the system. What has worked best for me are the cardboard boxes with the lids which I can stack pretty high, and I can still see what's in them with my strips on the outside. But always looking for better ideas. Also ideas on how NOT to buy fabric. Been quilting on and off since the 70's - any one interested in calicoes? LOL

TRY OVER DYING THE CALICOES... I GOT SOME INTERESTING FABRIC DOING THAT TO MY FABRIC... I USED REALLY STONG COLORS THAT WERE STRONGER AND OR BLENDED WITH THE ORIGINAL BACKGROUND OF THE FABRIC. WE GOT SOME REALLY NEAT EFFECTS.

I did it with our girl-scout troop... they love the experience...they liked the recycling aspect of the projects ......they loved the quilts and projects they made with the fabrics. Can you say badges.... The parents enjoyed not having to spend a lot of money on the project.

Comment

Originally posted by PDQuilt
                              I stack a lot on shelves where no light can get to it. Wire baskets are fine for "amateurs", but I would like to hear from other "UBER" collectors. I also use cardboard storage boxes from places like Staples and the like. I cut a strip from each fabric inside and staple it to the outside of the box so I can see what's what without destroying the room! (Not that my studio is neat, by any means)! Pulling fabrics can, and does, usually cause a disaster!
                              I have a dvd by Katie Pasquini-Masopust and she uses wire baskets. I doubt if she or Alex is an amateur.
                              eileenkny

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                              Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 317 users online. 0 members and 317 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X