[vb_main_1]

shipping boxes for quilts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

shipping boxes for quilts

Where do you get shipping boxes to mail quilts and what sizes should they be for a full size quilt?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

You should use a sturdy box and place your quilt in one of those XXL ziplock bags or a large garbage bag in case it gets wet. I usually prefer to ship mine in a new box that I get at WalMart or an office supply store as I want to keep it as clean as possible. I ship mine thru the US post office so I can add insurance. It will cost a few dollars but it gives me a measure of safety.

Comment

I'd suggest the Priority Mail flat rate boxes that you can get for free from the U.S. Post Office. As long as your quilt fits and weighs less than the maximum for the size box then you will pay a flat rate, regardless of the distance it's being shipped, which is generally less than first class unless it is very light weight.

These boxes open fairly easily, not requiring a knife which could damage your quilt.

You will need an appraisal or some other proof of value to insure a quilt over a certain value.

I recommend placing your quilt in a clear plastic bag, rather than a trash bag, before boxing it up. You wouldn't want your quilt to be mistaken for trash and thrown away.

Comment

I have mailed quite a few Quilts of Valor, mostly to APO in New York. I thought about the flat rate boxes, but the largest costs around $13 to send, and I found that even a larger box that had room for 2 or 3 quilts went for $11 or $12 to New York. I never thought about putting them in a plastic bag...good advice, thanks. Once I had 5 to send to Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, DC and boy did I have a time finding a box large enough. With help from the Mail Box place, we finally made it, but it was a struggle. I don't wait to send them now...just 1 or 2. :wink:

Nancy in NC

Comment

Just a note re: the APO addresses....even though they say NY, it really is being sent overseas to a military installation....it's been too long since I've dealt with them all the time, but NY may well be somewhere in Europe or even further...just thought it would be reassuring to know the postage is actually taking them further than it appears at first glance! I'm amazed at the number of QOV you have made....I really need to get at least a couple done in the near future! Thanks. Nancy

Comment

I have had two things (one regular envelope and one priority envelope) tampered and stolen from the post office lately from different parts of the country - I would use fed ex ground for a quilt. It's less $$ too -

Comment

I wonder if UPS is less $$$. The folks at my neighborhood UPS store will pack it for you OR you can purchase the packing materials from them. Their costs are usually comparable to FedEX.

Big Lots may also sell cheap boxes.

Comment

I've found boxes at my local quilt shop. They receive fabric and notion shipments a couple of times a week and are very happy to recycle the boxes if someone needs them. Always make sure you put your quilt into a plastic bag before shipping and yes, pay the little bit extra for insurance. And, if your quilt is worth more than $1000, you usually need to have a written appraisal before insurance will cover the cost.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 90 users online. 0 members and 90 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X