[vb_main_1]

SPRAY BASTING

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPRAY BASTING

While I am happy to spray baste machine quilted quilts, I am nervous about spray basing hand quilted quilts. Does the basting spray drag the needle when hand quilting.

I don't have a big wall to spray baste on and can't use the floor as my knees are shot, I have been laying out on a table and basting the centre section and then moving across the quilt until it is fully basted.

Does anyone have any ideas on this.

i have the same prob like you (with my knees) so i do use Sharon schamber way of basting but instead of sewing i spray glue.
    i use old newspaper and/or old shower curtain under before i spray so i got no resedu all over. i do that on a table.
    i use the glue spray on every thing hand and machine quilting - just fine - be careful thou not to spray too much.
    good luck

Comment

I am a teacher and use two or three of our cafeteria tables put together to spray baste all my quilts. I am sure there are large tables in church halls, but check out your local school or community center also.

Comment

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond to my enquiry.

Comment

I use spray basting for hand quilting, depending on how long you plan to be quilting the quilt you may want to add a couple of lines of tacking as well, particularly around the outside, the glue doesn't stick forever.

Comment

in addition to what i have wrote before, i bought 3 folded table (the type for wall paper DIY), it is long enough, and it can be folded when i dont need them.

Comment

I have problems with my lungs so I always spray outside using my husbands saw horses. I use a piece of pegboard for my table top.
              Linda in KY

Comment

I don't like the smell at all and it does get inhaled alittle but it works great. I don't know about hand quilting. I forget where I saw this but agreat idea was to row up your top onto small plastic pipe once sprayed you can roll out the top alittle at a time! I thought this was agreat idea.

Comment

Again thank you for the replies. Much to think about here.

Comment

I ordered a new can of 505 spray baste and am going to give it a try....I will let you know what I think after trying it.

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

When it's time to quilt, I have always struggled with pinning, basting, etc. When I saw the Spray Basting method videos by Patsy Thompson, I gave it a try and I absolutely love it. It's amazing how the "sandwich" stays together so nicely. I pin the "sandwich" on my design wall (lap quilt size) on my off days. Now how do I get my stitches all consistently the same size?!? Still working on it. Connie in California

Comment

I tried Patsy's method on a baby quilt with flannel backing. The flannel back was wrinkled when I got the top on. Tried twice and still can't get it to work. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help.

Comment

Originally posted by dlacefield
                          I tried Patsy's method on a baby quilt with flannel backing. The flannel back was wrinkled when I got the top on. Tried twice and still can't get it to work. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help.
                          I started spray basting because of flannel, I could not manage to get it quilted without wrinkles. What I do is spray it in small sections starting in the center and working my way out. This allows me to get the flannel nice and tight.

Sarah

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 87 users online. 0 members and 87 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                          Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X