Color

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Color

Hi From Texas to everyone,
    I’ve been quilting for quite a while but I don’t know if I’ll ever get over my fear of colors. I’ve played it safe for years asking a friend, using a kit or emulating another’s work. Far from a natural I’m hoping that Alex’s class will steer me to a more confident level. BTW, this is also my first mystery quilt.

I’d appreciate any comment on colors here and the other thing that i’m concerned about is how these will go in one quilt. First block photo also attached.

Any thoughts or am I overthinking this?

Hello Sweetshelties
    your blocks are absolutely wonderful.
    if most of your blocks are in the light bright pink range and only one or two are in the earthtones - then you'll have problems fitting them together - if you have a good mix of everything - then you won't have problems with the mix in the quilt top.
    Think of nature - look at a colorful flower garden / a natural border / a wild field or patch of woods - you'll have lots of natural colors mixed in with bright blue / pink / etc. etc. flowers, vibrant greens, every shade of yellow and whatnot. I'm adding some of my photos below to show how well very different colors are matched in nature - as I prefer details my pictures are generally close-ups - so that we don't have the full countryside look - but that should not be a problem - walk down the street - look out the windows - take your inspiration from what you see and like in our beautiful world - and enjoy yourself with it.
    i find that if something feels out of place - the trick generally is to add a few more in a similar line - they will then help to fit in.
    a few smaller bits of something "foreign" generally adds sparkle and interest - a big blob will feel odd - so try to make gradients or real mixes.
    lay them out - take a picture - do something different take another picture - hang lots of different pictures on your kitchen cubboard doors and live with them for a while - after a few days discard the no-goes - leave the rest - eventually a favourite or another option will emerge. sometime you will want something to tie them in. I'm not normally a fan of sashing - a multi-coloured background or sashing - possibly with oneor more of the fabulous kaffe fabrics might just be the ticket.

Comment

They definitely look like two different quilts one fall and one spring!

Try making blocks where the 2 color schemes mix, and that should bring it together. When you do that, try little bits of the fall colors in the spring, and vice versa.

somewhere on this site is a video of Alex and Ricky visiting Jinny Beyer and getting a color lesson -- one of the first 2 seasons. It might be easier to find on you tube.

Have fun!

Comment

Isn’t this the Kaffe Mystery quilt with Alex?
        I think you should go have a look and subscribe to this thread - you’re going to have a great quilt...enjoy!
        https://thequiltshow.com/forum/this-and-that-quilting-related/8994-kaffe-mystery-quilt-learn-with-alex

Comment

wow that looks amazing! :woohoo:

Comment

All these colorful flowers remind me of my granny's garden, I would like to be there again and feel the incredible smell. You know I enjoy working in my garden together with my husband. We wanted to make something modern and at the same time beautiful, something that will bring us back to our childhood. We were lucky to have a friend who shared this https://www.plantingtree.com/product...n-cypress-tree site with us. There we were able to order some italina cypress trees and also to learn how to take care of them. It is our first experience, having such a tree, that's why we wanted to be sure that everything would be perfect. So, I cannot say that my garden isn't a beautiful one but it isn't like my granny's and I guess that it will never be.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 149 users online. 0 members and 149 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
            Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X