[vb_main_1]

Sheets for backing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheets for backing

I am wondering about the debate about using sheets for quilt backs. I was told early in my quilting not to use them, but why not? Aren't they 100 percent cotton like our quilt fabric? Is it thread count? What about flannel sheets? Shouldn't they hold up equally as well? I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on this subject. Thanks
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired. 
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    Bernina Artista 200E, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines.

You know, my mom used to make quilts with sheets for backs, she used what she could afford, which is kinda quilting started out as. I suppose the quilt gods somewhere along the line thought that was no good, I really don't know why, I will be interested in this discussion.

Comment

I read an article not too long ago in a quilting magazine (I forgot which one!) that discussed using sheets. I think it was a longarm quilter, Ebony Love, who did an experiment using different sheets as quilt backs. She concluded that just about any sheet would work except knit ones. If you like the feel of the sheet and it's sturdy enough, it worked. I've only done that with one quilt many years ago, it worked out fine. I dyed the sheet because I couldn't find the color I wanted. Maybe it was because 30 years ago lots of sheets were cotton poly, and it was hard to hand quilt?? My vote is, might as well try it. Kathy

Comment

I've used different types of sheets, the only ones I had problems with were extremely high quality mercerized cotton, the problem was that they had a very high thread count / tight weave so that they were hard to sew / felt and sounded like I was using a dull needleeven with the finest newest sharpest I could find - and needles dulled very quickly - but the backing was a joy to use

Comment

I would be more inclined to use a percale cotton sheet rather than a sateen or other weave. Percale means that individual warp and weft threads cross over and under each other the same way they do in quilting cotton. Otherwise you may be dealing with stretch in both the cross- and length-wise grains.

Comment

About 15 years ago I heard someone on TV say, "Don't cheap-out by using sheets as backing." I also heard that sheets are hard to quilt through.
            Well, quilt fabric is expensive for some of us. Backing fabric can be very expensive.

A few years ago I had a pale blue good quality 100% cotton woven sheet without a matching top. I hand-dyed it and used it for backing. It quilted up beautifully.

However, first make sure the sheet is squared "on grain." Some sheets are cut and sewn skewed off-grain - like a parallelogram. Have you seen teeshirts that look okay when purchased, and after laundered the teeshirt comes out of the dryer all twisted off-grain? I personally do not want that in a large quilt backing.

I often square up large pieces of fabric by tearing it across the crosswise grain, top and bottom, and then ironing it square. This works with natural woven fibers (not synthetic or knits.) I learned this in a tailoring class years ago. I was making a wool coat for my class project. We were taught several ways to straighten fabric. The beautiful heather gray wool I bought for my project turned out to be skewed on the bolt, leaving me seriously short of fabric after straightening it. As a college student without a car, I had to take a long bus ride back into the city to buy more of the same wool. (The coat turned out well. Quite a valuable learning experience.)

I have never used flannel sheets as backing. I like to use flannel quilt fabrics as backing. So soft and comfortable. Maywood flannels are wonderful quality. I prewash all flannel I use in quilting, as flannel does shrink.

Recently I used a 50% JoAnn's coupon to buy a bolt of wide Kaufman premium muslim. I am using it for background fabric and for quilt backs. It is wonderful.

Happy quilting,
            Judith

Comment

I have a long-arm business, so I do not get to choose the backing fabric for most of my work and I have have several customers bring in sheets for backing. The sheets were not the high thread count ones. I do not quilt with the knit ones but most of the other sheets have finished very nicely. Flannel works well also, but pre-wash for shrinkage.

Comment

My very first quilt was backed with, and some piecing done with, a sheet. But, since it was my first, it was polyester. I did not know the difference way back then. Needless to say, the sheet has held out better than the inexpensive cottons (anyone remember House Of Fabrics?). The only problem I had with the polyester, was that it would pucker a bit if sewn on the straight of grain. I don't typically use sheets nowadays, as most of my quilts are art quilts, and usually entered into a show. So I use the good/expensive stuff. But, if I am making a baby quilt or a quilt for charity, a cotton sheet works just fine!

Dawn

Comment

Good old House of Fabrics. Ours was in the shopping center with 'Monkey' Wards (Montgomery Wards), a multiplex movie theatre, a furniture store, and various other shops. Most of my clothes throughout high school were made from fabrics and patterns I bought there with my babysitting money. Thanks for the memories Dawn!
                  Kath
                  KatH

Comment

Thank you to everyone for their responses on this suject. I really appreciate your opinions.
                    KatH

Comment

Well I use cotton sheets for the fronts of my quilts, dyed and pieced so I can't see a problem on the back. All I'd advice is that if you're hand quilting try the needle on it first.
                      I get the other comments on stretch so I'd check that too now.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Hi, I am from Australia. I normally use Egyptian cotton bed sheets and quilt covers. I feel really comfortable with cotton. I prefer Egyptian cotton than other fabrics for bedding. Last month I had purchased a sheet set online.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 160 users online. 0 members and 160 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                        Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X