[vb_main_1]

sewing chair?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

sewing chair?

Do any of you have a good source for a chair to use while free motion quilting on a home machine?
    Carol in SW Michigan

I've always had back problems, so I bought mine at the local back store.

Comment

Didn't Bernina come up with a chair a few years back?? I use a secretary's chair that adjusts in several ways.

Jeanine

Comment

I have the chair that comes with the Koala sewing cabinets. I have found that, over the years, the seat has become flattened, and will raise havoc with my sciatic. I do not recommend that one!

But, there is an office chair that is sold at Costo, which slopes down in the front of the seat, as opposed to cutting right across under the thighs. My guess is that it would be comfortable for a long period of time, while FMQing. And, there are arm rests, which also might be helpful.

And lastly, I have a ball! I use it when I am sitting in one position for a long period, like for FMQ. It is not ideal for short sitting, because it takes a bit of adjusting/sitting to be in just the perfect spot, so you don't want to be getting up and down much. Great for my sciatic, and only cost $20!

Dawn

Comment

Thanks! I have not yet settled on what table will be my permanent "spot", so realize I need to wait to make a final decision about a chair, too. I appreciate the information about the Koala chairs ... and will check out the costco and sam's club options. There is not a Costco nearby, but I have a friend who has a membership about 200 miles away and I can get it when I go to visit if it looks right! I like the idea of getting something that I think will work cheap enough to get rid of it and try another if it does not work. Having been a hand quilter, I have taken a while to talk myself into trying machine quilting ... but want to get good at it BEFORE the arthritis makes hand quilting impossible. So, got a new machine and am working at getting a whole new set-up in my sewing room that has the space, etc. needed for comfortable work. Thanks for your help!
          Eileen

Comment

When I was looking around for an office chair for my workplace, I saw the chair being delivered for another person. I stopped the furniture man and told him that I was looking for a new chair and asked if I could try the one he was delivering. It was just right, so I ordered one for myself. The supplier mentioned that this particular chair had a higher quality foam in the seat, so it would last longer. Until then I was unaware that office chairs come with different quality foam.
            I recommend that you go to different stores that sell office chairs and actually try them out. Also, Sam's sells good quality office chairs. There is no substitute for actually trying them.
            There are guidelines for ergonomic seating at a sewing machine, but I find that the right chair is still an individual thing. It makes a world of difference in pain-free sewing.

Judith

Comment

I agree with Judith - I tried several chairs at local retail outlets, I found one that great for me at Stapples.
              Barb

Comment

Thanks. I had not thought of that source ... good idea!

Comment

Thanks, Judith. Yes, I plan to do a lot of sitting!

Comment

I purchased the SewComfort XL chair from Koala after spending a good hour at my local Bernina shop quilting away at one of their machines while sitting in this chair (and after trying many other chairs elsewhere). I almost forgot I was sitting at the sewing machine for so long as it was so comfortable for me. I needed the ability to adjust the chair higher than the conventional sewing chairs and this particular one did that. My machine sits on a table, not in a sewing cabinet, therefore a bit higher, there is no way of inserting the machine into the table without ruining this beautiful solid oak table so my sewing machine sits about three inches higher than most machines do. I am also not tall so I needed the bit of extra height at the chair and this one allows me to sit at a conventional sewing cabinet height as well as at a table which is higher (in fact, I think I could probably raise the height on this chair to sit at my cutting table if I needed to).. I don't know how this chair will fare over the longer term in terms of what might happen to the cushion, but in the meantime, it is the most comfortable chair I've sat in to-date and it was no more expensive than the professional quality office chairs I've purchased in the past. I totally agree with those who recommend you spend some time trying the chairs before purchase. So important to have the right posture when sitting at a sewing machine for long periods of time! Hope this helps.

Comment

Which is the best product among those listed in this site? https://www.officechairandtable.com/...office-chairs/

Comment

I 100% agree with Renata. I'm away from home on a long term travel assignment,naturally I brought my sewing machine with me, I cannot believe the difference that my Koala sewing chair makes in my sewing room at home. The table I sit is slightly higher, and my chair is just a standard chair. I can't wait to get home to be back in my precious sewing and to sew for hours comfortably again! BTW, my chair is about 6 or 7 years old and very well used, however it does not look worse for wear. The only problem that I have had is about once a year I have to pick the thread out of the castors.

Comment

Originally posted by "Ladywingnut" post=146043
                          I 100% agree with Renata. I'm away from home on a long term travel assignment,naturally I brought my sewing machine with me, I cannot believe the difference that my Koala sewing chair makes in my sewing room at home. The table I sit is slightly higher, and my chair is just a standard chair. I can't wait to get home to be back in my precious sewing and to sew for hours comfortably again! BTW, my chair is about 6 or 7 years old and very well used, however it does not look worse for wear. The only problem that I have had is about once a year I have to pick the thread out of the castors.
                          I agree as well! It's such a pain to live in an apartment without a proper chair. Back-pains are coming and such.
                          My sewing chair came with the cabinet, it's about 5 or 6 years and I love it. It's more sturdy than a regular ones, it does have arm rests (which I like and use). Also I bought lumbar pads which do come in handy.

Originally posted by "BillyShouse" post=146041
                          Which is the best product among those listed in this site? https://www.officechairandtable.com/...office-chairs/
                          Personally, from my experience office chairs usually are not very comfortable when it comes to sewing. But if you like those, then maybe something like HON ValuTask may suit you. A good friend of mine use the same model and she likes it. As far as I know, arms are adjustable which might be a good plus. Though as I've already said, I prefer chairs without wheels - because of threads that get caught in the wheels - so I might be not a great advisor. I think the key is to have a chair that is adjustable. Don't forget that your legs should rest at a perfect 90 degrees.

Comment

I have a lot of back issues and purchased a Bungee chair from the Container store. I like it so much that I purchased a second one for sitting at my computer.

Comment

I found here some good options for myself. And since I have a lot of time to spend sitting in the near future, I came across your recommendations very handy, thanks

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 143 users online. 0 members and 143 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                              Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X