[vb_main_1]

Birdhouse quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birdhouse quilt

Finished my back today while watching the Inauguration. Used my own hand dyes for the main section . Turned the quilt vertical rather than horizontal. Cut my strips 3 inches and then assembled them like a jelly roll race quilt. Thus the randomnous of the strips.

Originally posted by "SewTooMuch" post=153879
    Finished my back today while watching the Inauguration. Used my own hand dyes for the main section . Turned the quilt vertical rather than horizontal. Cut my strips 3 inches and then assembled them like a jelly roll race quilt. Thus the randomnous of the strips.
    SewTooMuch, You are so fast. Look at all the beautiful pinwheels you made in such a short time. Are you planning on using all the birdhouses in the vertical layout?
    HelenW

Comment

Yes. Since the strips are that way, I will put them on opposite to Alex’s. I use thangles for my pinwheels -Like what she’s using but another company. Had them in my stash.

Comment

SewTooMuch, I did not notice before and I am surprised that Alex had you put your pinwheel border on before making the appliques on the pieced background.
        She did mention that it is really rough on the pinwheels when you are doing the applique because you need to turn the entire pieced top as you put the houses on the top
        so you might want to take her advice and top edge stitch in the seam allowance so it does not pull apart at edge seams. I am thinking she will build the houses and
        then put them on as a unit, but there will still be a lot turning the whole thing. HelenW

Comment

Helen, thank you. Already did that. Put a narrow zip zig stitch around the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by "HelenW" post=153904
            SewTooMuch, I did not notice before and I am surprised that Alex had you put your pinwheel border on before making the appliques on the pieced background.
            She did mention that it is really rough on the pinwheels when you are doing the applique because you need to turn the entire pieced top as you put the houses on the top
            so you might want to take her advice and top edge stitch in the seam allowance so it does not pull apart at edge seams. I am thinking she will build the houses and
            then put them on as a unit, but there will still be a lot turning the whole thing. HelenW
            Helen, I think I heard Alex say that applique makes the top shrink up a little so adding the pinwheels after would mean they don't fit as easily

Comment

HI, I fell and broke a bone in my wrist and was wondering how to go to the earlier shows on the birdhouse, esp learning about making the pinwheels. Thanks so much. Am really enjoying the classes.

Comment

Missing oxygen,
                If you oversize the pieced background, when it shrinks up a little, you can just trim it to the exact size needed, then the pinwheels can be put on after all the applique stitching and
                they will fit, and the pinwheels won't get ruffed around as you do the applique stitching. There are lots of way to get the same end results in quilting. HelenW

Comment

Originally posted by "quiltkeeper" post=154252
                  HI, I fell and broke a bone in my wrist and was wondering how to go to the earlier shows on the birdhouse, esp learning about making the pinwheels. Thanks so much. Am really enjoying the classes.
                  I hope your wrist is better soon. That sounds painful! You can find the birdhouse quilt shows on YouTube on The Quilt Show channel (I subscribe so they pop up as soon as they broadcast). Or you can search on YouTube for "The Birdhouse Quilt"

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 42 users online. 0 members and 42 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                  Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X