[vb_main_1]

John Flynn Quilting Frame

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Flynn Quilting Frame

I was wondering about the John Flynn quilt frame. Does anyone have one and use it for machine quilting? How do you find it? I liked the idea that you move the quilt not the machine.

I have one but have never quite gotten used to using it.

Comment

I liked how it worked for the stitching but quickly found that I need way more room to use it. Maybe I didn't understand some variation to make in the set up but even on a lap size quilt it was banging into the walls. With the quilt rollled on a 2x2 or pole you need room to the sides for the whole width of the quilt when you go side to side. I don't have any rooms that are that unobstructed! He does big quilts though so it might just be me. :? Karen
      Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

I bought mine used from a friend who just did not like it.

Even though I have all the parts ( somewhere in my house0 and the VCR tape (not DVD) on how to use I have been terrified of trying it..... It just hangs in the ceiling joist of my basement waiting for me to get up the nerve to use it. I spent less than $30 for it but so far it is a waste.

I have seen John use it on tapes/ TV and demonstrations several times but it still intimates me.

I am looking at the QUILTER 2 a knock off version of a mobile quilt frame for $200, but I am getting much better with quilting on my domestic without a frame... so that might be the way to go.

I used SHARON SCHAMBERS basting method to get my quilts ready to machine baste... If she can do it with a handicap and win prizes .... I can at least get my small quilts basted...

JMO
        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Come on, Anna! Have a go! You may love or hate it, but you should really give it a try before spending money on anything else.

Going back more years than I can count on both hands, I always used a wooden round embroidery hoop for hand embroidery, because that's the way I had been taught by one of my grandmothers. Then a friend of mine came back from a visit to the US with this square tubular plastic thing called Q-Snaps. She intensely disliked it and gave it to me with the comment: 'I bet you'll hate it too. Just through it in the bin!' Well, I tried it and love, love, loved it. I use nothing else for hand embroidery or hand quilting since and must have every available size. Soooo, Anna........ go on...... have a go, and then tell us all how you feel about that frame.

Lorchen (maybe I need to offer sending some Maltesers if Anna tries the frame - evil grin)
          From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

thanks for that feedback. I had not thought of needing free space on both sides of sewing table, but of course you would now I think about it. Anna I use Sharon's basting technique too, is easy and I can do it buy myself, don't have to wait for a friend to be available to help. And I hated crawling around on the floor my knees hurt too much after. I know spray basting is good too, but I hate the smell.

Comment

I know that along with the produce, John Flynn also provides a video on how to set up and use the frame, but for marketing purposes, he really should consider making that video available to people on the web. It seems like many people are interested in the product, but just don't really understand how it works or what the setup requires.

BethMI

Comment

MY BIGGEST problem is finding the time to tackle the frame. I also do not dare leave it up as the 2 yr old wrecking crew that lives in my home get into anything not put away.

Do not know what got into that boy lately but he has been on a tear. Tonight I am going to take him to the park and see if I can run him around with other kids. Too much energy.

Why is energy wasted on the young when it is their Mommies and Nonnies that need it?

Comment

What is the biggest quilt you can quilt on this

Comment

I had quilter 2 and did not like it at all. Was tough to use. I think they now have added a #3 part that supposedly makes it run smoother.

I have John Flynn frame and he sure makes it look easy. But then I broke down and bought a HQ sit down table and machine and am loving it!

When hand quilting I use the square white PVC Q Frame or what ever those are called (about 12" square) and LOVE LOVE them. For embroider or hand quilting.

Use SSchamber basting, also.

Comment

Like many of you, I had the frame for a long time. Finally, last year I set it up, and REALLY liked it. No basting or pinning needed just rolling the layers on the pipe. I hate basting, and this takes that away.

I set my machine up sideways, and the big orange rollers worked great. The quilt I made was about 45" wide, and the ability to do a freeform pattern was wonderful - none of that trying to stuff under the arm of the sewing machine and sewing a few inches at a time. With this frame, you need to sew across the width, and continuous patterns are best.

I do have a very large table, made from a ready-to-paint door that I got at a surplus store, and adjustable legs that I bought at IKEA. When I'm not using the frame, I store other things on top.

Keep in mind though - your quilting space will be limited to the space of the bed of your machine (which is why so many people buy long arm machines. I sure can't afford one!) My second time using the frame, I had a larger width quilt, so I went and bought longer pipe at the hardware store to roll the quilt layers. I got everything set up, then realized my blocks were 12" square, which my machine could not sew because of the depth between the needle and the arm. That was really dumb.

The only limitation I have found with the frame itself is that it is intimidating - so many people have bought the frames, then never used them. But the small cd I got with the frame does a good job of explaining how to set everything up. Just doing it once will get you over your fear. And then you won't feel guilty for not using it. And like any machine quilting, the more you practice, the better you'll like it.

I like my Flynn Frame!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 56 users online. 0 members and 56 guests.

Most users ever online was 231 at 03:55 AM on 06-12-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                      Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X