[vb_side_2]
[vb_main_1]

Kaffe Mystery Quilt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This quilt has really challenged me. Some of the Kaffe fabric bundle was way outside of my wheelhouse. However, I kept on making the blocks, learning the color wheel, and stepping way outside of my comfort zone. Alex, you have taught me so much during this process, from pinning, to glueing, to color choices and finally for taking a chance. I knew that this quilt had to be a way for me to express how this pandemic has impacted our lives. I have 2 houses in the quilt. One represents my house, the other, my family and friends who I have seen for a limited time from a far. The blue and green house I had to design and figure out the size of fabric needed for each section. Thank you once again Alex for showing us how to use graph paper to design a block. One block says “we are all in this together....just separately. It has a little mask on it representing the 500+ masks that I made for hospitals, small businesses, and family and friends. And of course I had to put a Quilting Quarantine 2020 block in there The signature block, COVID-19, I did my way. I turned the flying geese to make a star and made the signature portion to read straight rather than on a slant. Now I just need to figure out how I want to quilt it. Thank you Alex! I hope one of the pictures adds properly.

Comment

I have spent the weekend working on this amazing quilt. I decided on this block setting. Going to extend the Star points into the border. The white HSTs are on the outer edge. Thinking about a possible further border. Can’t decide yet. I’ll let the quilt tell me.

Love the way the Sequoia Sampler turned out.

Comment

Thanks Alex, I have enjoyed this project very much. The quilt top is together while I think about borders. I have learned a lot. My biggest takeaway is the glue. I tried it today on a block with curved piecing and I’ll tell you, it was a game changer. I am ready to start the baskets. I have never done them before.

Comment

I am still working on the final blocks for this quilt. It needs 36 total pieced blocks and with these two blocks I have completed 30. I have not been working from the book, but have been using EQ8 to obtain my block patterns. Theese two are 1662c and they come from an add on to the original program called BlockBase by Brabara Brackman. So 1662c on the left and the modified version on the right.

pines/elaine

Comment

Gradyk, Don't give up on your layout. I think it is just a work in progress. When I made this concept idea in EQ8 it did not start out looking like anything I would make, but
            after reworking and reworking it, I think in the future I will make it. The black needs a strong presence to make the colors pop against the back ground. Try auditioning it
            with different sized sashings in black. HelenW

Comment

pines, I have been loving all your blocks from the very beginning. Anticipating when I will get to see a in-progress layout of all your blocks. You have a wonderfully unique way of making the blocks your own style. I just love it. Looking forward to your Big Reveal. HelenW

Comment

Thank you, Helen. I was thinking about sashing last night, so will work on that layout today. Karen (gradyk)

Comment

Amazing blocks, pines!

Comment

I just think everyone has done a tremendous job on your quilts! It’s quite amazing, and probably the biggest take-away from this project, how diverse these blocks have turned out, especially considering we worked in small parameters. Good on you!

Comment

jtutton: since I need to make a 108X108 quilt it was IMPERATIVE I find more. I have ordered more of everything plus the other colorways. I am about 1/2 way through the number of blocks I will need then will go on to setting them in the Brassica on point. This has been a blast.
                      GradyK: don't give up, I think helenw is on to something. I can wait to see what it might look like
                      djane: I hope to have the medallion set and on the design wall in the next couple of days. I will post it as soon as I can
                      Barbara: Thank you for the encouragement and tips. Precision wasn't important to me, but the few changes you suggested have made a world of difference in my piecing.
                      Alex: What a fun time this has been so far. I have learned a lot about using my design wall, the color wheel and making decisions "on the fly". I look forward to more of this.

Comment

Helen W --- Wow! Your quilt looks amazing. The black sashing makes the colours popl

Comment

Peggy H - both your quilts are beautiful.

Comment

nkettner - I love the memories of 2020 that you have incorporated into your quilt. Looks great too.

Comment

Paolo RB Your quilt looks great and I really like what you have done with the side borders.

Comment

I have learned SO much during this mystery quilt project! Thank you so much to Alex and everyone that has contributed to the forum. I realized that I really need to work harder on putting blocks into rows--I think that I was getting impatient and not as careful as I could be. Oh well--I'm happy anyway.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 66 users online. 0 members and 66 guests.

Most users ever online was 420 at 12:32 AM on 09-29-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 7,646   Posts: 144,737   Members: 16,641   Active Members: 5
                                Welcome to our newest member, Lev Anderson-LevTest1.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X